Windows 11

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have no idea.. My laptop is over 7 years old, I think. Maybe older.
Ah, does it meet Win 11 cpu/RAM requirements?

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Ah, does it meet Win 11 cpu/RAM requirements?
Apparently not.

Device name Petes-Laptop
Processor AMD E1-6010 APU with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics 1.35 GHz
Installed RAM 6.00 GB (4.96 GB usable)
Device ID 8F1CC78B-65DB-4FA1-B3B4-A287342C
Product ID 00326-10000-00000-A2
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
When I upgraded to W10 it was snappy and booted from cold to login in less than 30 seconds. Since then it seems to want to do updates every bloody time I turn it on. Boot is now somewhat less snappy. My software stack on top of Windows 10 is pretty much unchanged. I think they assume everyone now has SSD and they can chuck lots of Windows update crap at it every week. Mine is hybrid which is hard disk plus about 8Gb cache that learns which files to cache for fast boot up. But since Windows updates thousands of these files every week, the cache gets invalidated nearly every time. So boot never speeds back up.

I suspect W11 will be even worse at assuming SSD. It’ll start snappy and gradually become slow as molasses at startup.

When I upgraded to W10 it was snappy and booted from cold to login in less than 30 seconds. Since then it seems to want to do updates every bloody time I turn it on. Boot is now somewhat less snappy. My software stack on top of Windows 10 is pretty much unchanged. I think they assume everyone now has SSD and they can chuck lots of Windows update crap at it every week. Mine is hybrid which is hard disk plus about 8Gb cache that learns which files to cache for fast boot up. But since Windows updates thousands of these files every week, the cache gets invalidated nearly every time. So boot never speeds back up.

I suspect W11 will be even worse at assuming SSD. It’ll start snappy and gradually become slow as molasses at startup.
I haven't had Windows on a pc desktop HDD for 10 years. Why not put your OS on 20 quid SSD? It will be miles better.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I haven't had Windows on a pc desktop HDD for 10 years. Why not put your OS on 20 quid SSD? It will be miles better.

Because a 20 quid SSD has fark all capacity

SydZ

Über Member
Brave of you.

I love messing with computers and can't resist pressing an 'update' button (whether I need to or no) but my Win10 machine said 'no' to Win11 because of the processor. I considered trying another route (as I say, I like playing) but maybe I'm getting old, or losing my sense of adventure or something, as I decided to leave it be.
What’s the worst that can happen? I have a backup on the Windows 10:installation I can always return to if needed. 🙂

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Crazy isn't it? You can get a 500gb m.2 for £36 ... pretty sure i spent £150 on a Samsung one a couple of years back.
I spent around £100 for a 120gb Kingston SSD around the 2016 mark. You can easily find the same ones now for less that £20... Still have it mind and it works perfectly fine.

Top Bottom