Windows Media Centre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

Having finally got a half decent internerd connection, we're starting to explore the possibilities of some of the kit here a bit more. We've signed up for online movie downloads, got YouTube on every device, watching in HD, of course, and we've battered the iPlayer servers.

One of the things that the XBox does is works as an "extender" for Windows Media. So, I've been running through setting that up and I can't find much reason to use it, which is lucky as it is sooooo blllooooooodyyyyy sllllooooowwwww. It seems to want to rebuild the library every time it loads, which takes a while, and it's just pants compared to WMP or any of the other alternatives.

It even makes itunes look acceptable.

Is anyone else using it and, if so, why?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Can't you use the free monthly trial on netflix through the 360 if you want to have a mess about? Some really nice stuff in HD on there. All right so netflix isn't highest quality ever, but I was quite impressed.

OP
OP
N

Norm

Yeah, we've gone with the Love Films free 30-day trial at the moment, Netflix is the next on the list. Either way, with one at £5.99 and the other at £4.99, they seem a pretty good way to watch films - I've watched 3 this evening. :thumbsup:

And the Windows Media Centre is still updating its library. :laugh:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It's primary use is to stream stuff from your computer onto your TV. Depending on how you set things up depends on how quick it is.
Have a look at the settings to see if there is anything that will make it quicker.

OP
OP
N

Norm

Cheers, gaz, I'll check the settings. I think the best way to get stuff onto the TV is going to be with the 5m HDMI cable I bought at the Billy Bargain price of £8 a few weeks back. :thumbsup:

marinyork

Yeah, we've gone with the Love Films free 30-day trial at the moment, Netflix is the next on the list. Either way, with one at £5.99 and the other at £4.99, they seem a pretty good way to watch films - I've watched 3 this evening. :thumbsup:

And the Windows Media Centre is still updating its library. :laugh:

And what did you think of lovefilm? IIRC isn't the £4.99 a month one only SD?

Anyway I was very impressed with netflix in terms of the HD stuff and catalogue on release. So long as it improves it should be a decent service.

sw3008

Guru
I've set up my xbox to stream all my files from the PC - set up windows media player to share all your files & then you can search for the PC in the "video" tab.

I don't user media centre as it's a bit pants.

The setup depends on which version of windows you're using, but the following may help - http://www.itechtalk.com/thread1391.html

OP
OP
N

Norm

And what did you think of lovefilm? IIRC isn't the £4.99 a month one only SD?

Anyway I was very impressed with netflix in terms of the HD stuff and catalogue on release. So long as it improves it should be a decent service.

We're on the 30 day free trial at the moment, so we've gone for the full monty. By which I mean we've got the biggest package rather than some dodgy film about male strippers.

I can't see the £4.99 deal on their website but, as reported, it includes unlimited downloads but no physical media.

Love Film itself works well. It's installed as an app on the XBox, searching is pretty good and it starts immediately. It can also be used on the laptops and PCs etc. We'll be trying Netflix when the free trial runs out. :thumbsup:

I've set up my xbox to stream all my files from the PC - set up windows media player to share all your files & then you can search for the PC in the "video" tab.

That sounds similar to my set up, it was only at the weekend that I thought I'd give the Media Centre a try as sharing stuff like that is pretty much what it is meant to do. It's rubbish at doing it, though.

I've also got all my media installed on a DLNA server anyway, so we can play it straight from the TV if desired.

yello

I came to that same conclusion when I looked at it, admittedly, years ago. I'm sure it's 'better' now but the big question it left me with was 'why?' It seemed to me to be a packaging of features for which there were better standalone options.

But then I've never been a fan of the 'all-in-one' solutions that seem to almost necessarily require compromise of one or other or all functions.

marinyork

We're on the 30 day free trial at the moment, so we've gone for the full monty. By which I mean we've got the biggest package rather than some dodgy film about male strippers.

I can't see the £4.99 deal on their website but, as reported, it includes unlimited downloads but no physical media.

Love Film itself works well. It's installed as an app on the XBox, searching is pretty good and it starts immediately. It can also be used on the laptops and PCs etc. We'll be trying Netflix when the free trial runs out. :thumbsup:

Ah. Well I don't suppose you can go too wrong getting a month free out of them whatever you decide. There are apparently noticeable studios not on netflix, but this may be remedied some time in the future. As it points out in the article you could get 'all' for £11 a month :biggrin:. Just very impressed by this service, I think it is an order of magnitude better than other services previously available in terms of price and what you get for it. Not that there aren't very big improvements to be made to it, more how bad vod/streaming was in the UK before. The HD stuff on netflix (of which a surprising amount is) I would describe as 'broadcast' quality, so very happy with that.

When they get round to putting it on my blu-ray player I will be giving this service a paid go for a while.

Top Bottom