Windy eye problems!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Son in law just got some Oakley wrap rounds..not cheap but he suffers with hey fever red eyes etc..
he has interchangeable lenses and as the saying goes ,he's as happy a a pig in poop with the oakley shades..wiggle had a good offer on so have a look ..
he often uses the orange colour lense and says everything seems clearer with them for mtb..no strobing etc from the sunlight in the trees..keeps the insects out too..

vickster

Legendary Member
@sarahale if you want IMO slightly more attractive cycling glasses rather than safety glasses (although some of the Bolle ones aren't too bad), just see what your LBS has, Endura, Tifosi etc., with interchangeable lenses. Try and buy, rather than trying the eBay foakley lottery :smile:

Katherine

Guru
I must have lost at least £50 worth of Aldi's cycling glasses through the years, I'm terrible for leaving glasses on top of panniers then setting off.
But it's a good idea to wear them if you can be bothered, indeed if your eyes are sore.
Here in Scotland I find the glasses mostly annoying, because it always rains then one can't see.

Rains a lot here too, well maybe not quite as much as you get, that's why I recommend the yellow Endura anti fog glasses . I can still see really well with them when it's raining, even in the dark with car head lights coming towards you. Better than the clear ones imo.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
@sarahale if you want IMO slightly more attractive cycling glasses rather than safety glasses (although some of the Bolle ones aren't too bad), just see what your LBS has, Endura, Tifosi etc., with interchangeable lenses. Try and buy, rather than trying the eBay foakley lottery :smile:
Decathlon also do decent quality fir not too much £

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Rains a lot here too, well maybe not quite as much as you get, that's why I recommend the yellow Endura anti fog glasses . I can still see really well with them when it's raining, even in the dark with car head lights coming towards you. Better than the clear ones imo.
I'll look out for them on special offer!
Btw, today I got stung ... on my upper leg, the fatty bit, by a bee that got stuck in my clothing :B)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Your other issue was Olympification (which I also have to give you cred for inventing!)
*ahem*
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/is-there-a-word-meaning.205345/#post-4412318

I'd like to thank @mjray for reusing my word and @jonny jeez for recognising it, and you, dear @CanucksTraveller, for recognising its quality, and @sarahale for starting the thread that gave my dear, dear friend @mjray the chance to use it, and my agent, and the director, and the make-up team, and my arranger and composer, but most of all I'd like to thank myself for inventing the word. We're all marvellous.

*placeholder for running off stage clutching award sobbing histrionically yellow-faced thing*

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Back on topic, I can't ride without glasses because I can't see without glasses, and having tried contact lenses briefly I didn't get on with them. I typically wear reasonably shallow glasses, which I find are good up to about 35mph - beyond that my eyes start watering and I can't see properly.

I would recommend a decent pair of interchangeable lens glasses - both Mrs W and I (when I was wearing contacts) use them and swear by them.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Never mind high-speed insect collisions, I was grateful to be wearing my eye protection this evening near dusk when riding back along the Calder Valley. I should rename it 'Midge Alley'! There were thousands of the things slowly flying about. They were bouncing off the lenses relentlessly for several miles.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I may have just accidentally put my rather expensive Rudy Project prescription glasses through the wash with all my other cycling kit. :blush: Fortunately they came out unscratched and sparkling clean. :becool:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'll look out for them on special offer!
Btw, today I got stung ... on my upper leg, the fatty bit, by a bee that got stuck in my clothing :B)
Must be a 'bees around the honey pot' joke in there somewhere^_^

I got a wasp trapped in my helmet (headgear) just the right side of the insect mesh. Never whipped anything off so quick and fortunately we both survived unscathed.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bolle are a big safety glasses manufacturer. They do them in clear and tints. Usually less than £10 each and are ideal for cycling. Very tough.

It seams as soon as a sport is mentoned, the prices go through the roof.

I have a few Bolle glasses and some cheap oakley look a likes (not Oakley branded) which work great with my prescription inserts.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Never mind high-speed insect collisions, I was grateful to be wearing my eye protection this evening near dusk when riding back along the Calder Valley. I should rename it 'Midge Alley'! There were thousands of the things slowly flying about. They were bouncing off the lenses relentlessly for several miles.
I got a puncture next to a stream at dusk last night. I can now report that glasses give no protection to your eyes whatsoever when you are not actually moving! I ended up with several midges in my eyes after they found their way round my glasses (as well as numerous bites on my arms and legs). :laugh:

Helpful hint: If you puncture somewhere where midges are waiting to pounce, walk your bike to somewhere windier and drier where you will only get half eaten while carrying out the repair!

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
I've had a ridiculously busy week so only just managed to pop back on here and check the replies, thanks everyone.

I don't wear glasses and it's never crossed my mind to wear anything to protect my eyes whilst cycling, in my defense I don't see a great deal of other cyclists wearing them (or I don't notice!) And I've had near misses with bees and stones but I've always managed to blink in time so far for the bigger bugs. I've been cycling daily for years and it's only in the last couple of months my right eye in particular has started bothering me.

I just hate wearing glasses but I'll get over myself and pop to my bike shop and see what's on offer. If they get really gruesome again I will add a picture but currently are not looking too bad.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I just hate wearing glasses but I'll get over myself and pop to my bike shop and see what's on offer.
I think a couple of us mentioned that "workwear" or "country pursuit" glasses are cheaper and designed for multi-hour use more than cheaper bike shop glasses. Some of them are actually quite reasonable-looking (but not mine because they have to fit over regular glasses :laugh: ).

Top Bottom