Windy eye problems!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lutonloony

Über Member
slightly off topic im afraid. I need to wear script glasses to get my eyesight to legal driving requirement ( ie being able to read number plate). should I use corrective glasses for cycling? I can sort of see ok, just not to legal requirement if that makes sense

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
slightly off topic im afraid. I need to wear script glasses to get my eyesight to legal driving requirement ( ie being able to read number plate). should I use corrective glasses for cycling? I can sort of see ok, just not to legal requirement if that makes sense
In my opinion, short-sighted people probably should wear their glasses for cycling to maximise the visual warning we get of the shoot that others do, but as far as I know, you're allowed to cycle without them, at your own risk. I'm pretty sure I cycled without wearing my glasses for a while after my eyesight fell below legal driving standard - it would be a bit dicey at my current prescription, though (something near -4 I think, if that makes sense).

vickster

Legendary Member
How clearly can you see without? Do you wear glasses day to day or just for driving? Are you able to go about your daily business safely without?

lutonloony

Über Member
In my opinion, short-sighted people probably should wear their glasses for cycling to maximise the visual warning we get of the shoot that others do, but as far as I know, you're allowed to cycle without them, at your own risk. I'm pretty sure I cycled without wearing my glasses for a while after my eyesight fell below legal driving standard - it would be a bit dicey at my current prescription, though (something near -4 I think, if that makes sense).
Vision not too bad. Specs sort of make it HD

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
On (a few very rare) occasions when it's raining very hard I do sometimes ride without specs, because that gives marginally better vision than riding with very soggy glasses.

But I wouldn't recommend it regularly.

icowden

Veteran
Helpful hint: If you puncture somewhere where midges are waiting to pounce, walk your bike to somewhere windier and drier where you will only get half eaten while carrying out the repair!
Alternatively, apparently midges and mosquitos are not fond of gin. If you drink a lot of that you should be fine :crazy:

icowden

Veteran
Ha ha - I doubt that! Maybe it is based on getting too p****d to notice the bites... :laugh:
It is actually true. I learned it from the Sine curator of flies (and Dave Gorman who raised it) at the Natural History Museum on the Infinite Monkey Cage - Series 24 Bats vs Flies. Definitely true for Mosquitos anyway, so I imagine it's worth a try on midges!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Alternatively, apparently midges and mosquitos are not fond of gin. If you drink a lot of that you should be fine :crazy:

uuuoi.jpg

Top Bottom