Wing Mirrors or Trophies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Short of what they are planning for a couple of schools here, considering enforcement cameras bus gate and bus lane style, I don't think complaints will go anywhere.

As for gauging opinion, many of the people on here are not anything like typical cyclists, this forum certainly has its bias.

mknash said:
Nope, definitely talking about wing mirrors - just because they moved up the car the name stayed the same through popular usage.

Now, while you are coaching me on language, the word you are looking for is "YOU'RE" (Sorry, don't like to be a grammar nazi, but practice what you preach good sir.) :thumbsup:

The entire automotive industry calls them door mirrors, thus that is their name.

when they moved up the car the design and mounting changed as did the name in the sales brochure (still got the one from my '79 fiesta)

habit causes the general public to use the incorrect name.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Best remember that in court. You could get off on a technicality

Wing mirror, your honour? There's no such thing.

I understand your frustrations, but you can't really aim to educate people by tearing safety equipment off their vehicles.

OP
OP
mknash

mknash

I apologise for using a word that everyone knows what means.

I will be sure to use an arcane and technically correct one next time.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
arallsopp said:
Best remember that in court. You could get off on a technicality

Wing mirror, your honour? There's no such thing.

I understand your frustrations, but you can't really aim to educate people by tearing safety equipment off their vehicles.
However, beating them to death within said vehicle, and leaving their corpses to fester in the sunlight may serve as a useful deterrant to others parking illegally. :thumbsup:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
mknash said:
I apologise for using a word that everyone knows what means.

I will be sure to use an arcane and technically correct one next time.
... isn't "Wing Mirror" the arcane one?

[edit] Nope, I was thinking of archaic[/edit]

I still call them this, btw... what a fool I am! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
mknash

mknash

dunno, I got into a rut trying to compare use of wing mirror versus door mirror in corporate sites for uk car manufacturers. (seems to be a bit more usage of Door over Wing, but not much in it - same from sellers of spares)

Most sites use them interchangably. I will send 'em a link to this forum so a cyclist can correct them on what they call the parts they make, sure they will be grateful

Greenbank

Über Member
Olly said:
Parents are quite often dickheads around school run time - thats a given.

The local churches are also a nightmare. Plenty of cars illegally parked within 10m of the junctions (not in marked parking spots obviously), just because they can't be arsed to drive another 30m up the road to the empty parking spaces. It really screws up sightlines at junctions, both for pedestrians trying to cross and for cyclists/vehicles trying to turn in/out of the junctions. 90% of the cars illegally parked like this have child seats in the back.

I've been tempted to call the council and ask them to send out a tow truck (cars parked in such a way are usually considered to be parked dangerously and can be towed straight away), but I doubt they'd dare to take on the local churchgoers.

All because they want their little Tarquin or Tilly to go to the local Catholic school. Mrs G reports that the majority of parents there have absolutely no idea what to do during a Catholic mass (being a heathen I don't go). The catchment area for the church is small enough (probably no more than a mile) that no-one (except the elderly or disabled) should need to drive it anyway.

thomas

the tank engine
Olly said:
A. its really expensive.
B. Unless you KNow its someone who has hit you its a complete ar**hole thing to do.
C. drivers NEED wing mirrors to see cyclists!!!!!
try thinking!!!

I've had damage done to my car (when legally parked, etc) and people just drove off. It's horrible and wastes a day getting it fixed and money. It really makes you worry about where you park up and become too obsessive.

I wouldn't want to pass a car without a mirror on that side as you'd be entering their blind spot....and if your knocking all the drivers side mirrors off they probably will pull into a cyclist.

I can understand your frustration, but can't agree with your response. It really annoys me when drivers park up on the pavement to give cars room, but then stop people walking past.

I'm sure there are times when taking a mirror off wouldn't be that big a deal, or even provoked - but cycling past when it's relativity safe isn't.

OP
OP
mknash

mknash

Dayum -I stand corrrected :thumbsup:

PS - try putting them in quotes and the result changes (basically comparing door an wing originally)

Olly

dont get me started on churches!!!!!!

a friend of mine brought me a bumper sticker from mexico...

JESUS IS MY CAR INSURANCE

I had it on the back of my car for a bit - but it got nicked:sad:

Top Bottom