"Wing" Style Bars - Can You mount stuff on them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
...like computers, lights &c?

I quite like the idea of the flatter top to the bar, but it's a non starter if standard light & computer mounts aren't going to work. (Read a few things claiming that the non-round profile of this type of bar can be a problem...)

jimboalee

Any computer with a solid plastic hinged band is a no-no on 'wing' bars.

I have a Cateye Mity 8 ( zip clips ) on my FSA Wings.
My Garmin eTrex didn't go. My Edge would be OK.

BTW, my FSA wings have a 'platform' effect behind where the brake handles mount. V comfortable.

kyuss

Veteran
A lot of the 'wing' style bars I've seen have had a cm or 2 either side of the stem that is still round. I guess it depends on how much stuff you need to mount.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
kyuss said:
A lot of the 'wing' style bars I've seen have had a cm or 2 either side of the stem that is still round. I guess it depends on how much stuff you need to mount.

I'm only talking about a computer (which now I think of it, could always go on the stem in any case) and a light (probably a torch on a "lockblock").

It sounds as though it's do-able, so I reckon I'll get my order in...

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Just thought I'd report back on these.

My bars are FSA Wing Alloy, fitted them last weekend, and I'm loving them. Really, really comfortable in use. I use the round part either side of the stem clamp to fit the computer (Sigma 1606, goes on fine). A torch in a lockblock would easily fit on the other side.

Top Bottom