Winning the lottery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've just had an idea what I'd do if I somehow acquired a lot of money. I'd rent an office in one of those office buildings and pretend to be the boss of a small company. I'd hire a receptionist/secretary to sit at a desk before the door. I'd spend my time thinking of tasks for her do so that she doesn't know she's not working for a real company.

View: https://youtu.be/Inq4kPFdosI

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
If I won a massive euromillions amount I'd buy this rabbit that I saw on the internet. It sold for £71 million, what a bargain for a steel rabbit. People starving in the world and that...

2F2019%2F04%2Fjeff-koons-rabbit-sculpture-christies-post-war-and-contemporary-art-evening-sale-0.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh no, I wouldn't do that. I'd probably had to consult a business advisor to know what a small company should be doing. I might have to hire actors to pretend to be clients. It's not just the receptionist I'd want to impress; it's all the other small business staff in the building.

Sounds overly complicated. Why just not go riding your bike lots !

Brains

Legendary Member
I remember the reveal was that the government had calculated it was marginally better for the economy to employ people to do nothing useful than to let them be unemployed.

The Chinese Government has been doing this for years.
There is no unemployment.
They work on the principal that it is better to pay people to do a job and make stuff that people don't need than pay them to do nothing.

Hence Chinese steel production employs millions.
Making more steel than they can possibly use.
They therefore have started to mass produce steel football stadiums, IKEA flat pack style.
The intention is to build 30,000 (no, not a typo) stadiums in China within the next 15 years
This then becomes the strategic steel reserve.
Should a hostile power cut off the flow of iron ore into China, they will have millions of tonnes of ready processed steel available by simply unbolting a few thousand football stadiums.

As a Brucie bonus, they also will start to produce world class footballers (and football fans).
My money is on China to win the 2030 World Cup.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
The Chinese Government has been doing this for years.
There is no unemployment.
They work on the principal that it is better to pay people to do a job and make stuff that people don't need than pay them to do nothing.

Hence Chinese steel production employs millions.
Making more steel than they can possibly use.
They therefore have started to mass produce steel football stadiums, IKEA flat pack style.
The intention is to build 30,000 (no, not a typo) stadiums in China within the next 15 years
This then becomes the strategic steel reserve.
Should a hostile power cut off the flow of iron ore into China, they will have millions of tonnes of ready processed steel available by simply unbolting a few thousand football stadiums.

As a Brucie bonus, they also will start to produce world class footballers (and football fans).
My money is on China to win the 2030 World Cup.

corperation-economies-explained-cows-ecownomics-28.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
I'd cycle across Europe to the Czech Republic, buy a Tatra T603 and drive it home.

I would have had an interesting and challenging holiday and own a car full of character and interesting features rather than the oh-so-tedious top of the range Audis and BMWs my work colleagues want to buy if they won the lottery.

But first I'd need to buy a ticket...

lane

Veteran
This brings a whole new meaning to recreational spreadsheeting!

I am an accountant and I don't believe that is a thing

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I wouldn't tell anyone.

Then, I'd leave the house on my bike every morning Mon-Fri, and go for a 2-3 hour ride out into Kent & Surrey.

Then, I'd go to the tennis club up the road, have a spot of lunch, do some weight training, play a set of tennis, have a shower and return home, saying to Mrs. 66 "my God, you wouldn't believe the day I've had..."

Saturday/Sunday I'd ride my bike, play golf and/or get drunk.

ETA: by "I wouldn't tell anyone", that includes Mrs. 66.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'd cycle across Europe to the Czech Republic, buy a Tatra T603 and drive it home.

I would have had an interesting and challenging holiday and own a car full of character and interesting features rather than the oh-so-tedious top of the range Audis and BMWs my work colleagues want to buy if they won the lottery.

But first I'd need to buy a ticket...

On. the last point, the different chance of winning between buying and not buying a ticket is so negligible so you can still keep your dream intact without needing to waste money on an actual ticket

Re the 603 - a great choice having an off the wall but still high quality thing like that. Semi related the wife was very taken with a lovely motorcycle we saw in the Prague industrial museum. It was a Praha (or something similar) and whilst not a racer it was clearly nicely engineered mid range machine and I dare saw if you bought one it'd be the only example in the UK. I guess it was a Velocette grade machine if that make sense

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
On. the last point, the different chance of winning between buying and not buying a ticket is so negligible so you can still keep your dream intact without needing to waste money on an actual ticket
If you buy a ticket the day before the draw, you are statistically far more likely to be dead before the draw happens than win the draw.

Top Bottom