Winter Acclimatisation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I always feel everyone deal's with the cold in a different way. I'm sure there will be a more physical reason for those differences like circulation and fat layers insulating us but after working outside for 30 years (can't believe it's been that long) I feel as if I never really get cold but it's definitely minus something this morning so I'll let you know in a couple of hours if I've just shot myself in the foot.:cold:

Loose fitting windproof gloves without a lining.
Gloves with linings are a pain if they are close fitting because the lining sticks to your hands. If you need to take the gloves off for any reason they can be difficult to put back on.
On setting off, constantly move your fingers aroud for the first mile or so to get the circulation to your fingers. Works for me on a 15 mile commute.

Slick

Guru
I always feel everyone deal's with the cold in a different way. I'm sure there will be a more physical reason for those differences like circulation and fat layers insulating us but after working outside for 30 years (can't believe it's been that long) I feel as if I never really get cold but it's definitely minus something this morning so I'll let you know in a couple of hours if I've just shot myself in the foot.:cold:
Nah, still tough as.:thumbsup:

-3 here this morning according to my phone but once again never really felt cold until I got a puncture and I used a canister to re-inflate the tyre. :eek:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some folk get colder hands than others so its very personal what works for one and not others. I just need fairly standard cheap aldi winter gloves on cold days (ie ice and snow). Most other winter days, its just some thin long fingered gloves.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Is it just a matter of learning to tune out the discomfort of cold fingers & toes, so you just stop noticing them?

I certainly notice that I feel the cold less as a ride goes on. On Saturday, my fingers were quite painful half an hour into the ride (5°, sunny), but fairly comfortable an hour and a half later (3°, sleet, and the wind had got up too).
That was shorts, sandals, no socks, and no gloves. Winter's not allowed to start until November ;)

Top Bottom