Winter Clothing Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GentleBenn

Veteran
Hi All,
Came back from a ride tonight ,got caught in the rain, completely cold and soaked from head to foot!
Can anyone recommend ,from their experience , warm, windproof and waterproof kit ?

I'm talking Jackets , bib tights , overshoes, gloves and socks a complete winter kit if you will, anything to keep us all going.

Ive been looking at Pearl Izumi Amfib bibs , anyone use these, the manufactures claim they are warm,waterproof and wind proof !!
Thanks Benn.

OP
OP
GentleBenn

GentleBenn

Veteran
Hmmm , should i use my invisibility for good or evil? :smile:

Nobody has any advice or have i put this in the wrong section? anyone? Lol, feeling a bit paranoid now!:smile:

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Aldi has merino wool tops and bottoms in for £15 each. Got some yesterday and they're amazing! Good quality too!

I have an altura jacket which is pretty bomb proof. For bottom half I don't bother to try to fight the wet, I just make sure I'm warm, then the wet doesn't matter.

snorri

Legendary Member
Can't understand the problem really, I just wear my ordinary clothes with a hooded goretex jacket, woolly hat, gloves, waterproof trousers and when really wet I wear wellies. Letting any part of the body get wet is BAD, as wetness leads to cold and cold leads to misery, if not worse.

PpPete

Legendary Member
experience [of], warm, windproof and waterproof kit?

Yes - it will be wetter inside than out, due to condensation and perspiration.

I'm with MattHB on this one, quite happy to let my bottom half get wet, but it never seems cold. Fairly substantial leg muscles, working hard in cycling, generate their own heat.
On top though I layer up carefully, usually at this time of year it's short sleeve base layer, long sleeve winter weight jersey, and if temperature drops or it gets wet, a lightweight waterproof but reasonably breathable rain jacket - which serves as a windproof too.

It's quite surprising how low a temperature an active individual can operate in effectively with using a very basic (and cheap) three layer system

FWIW I'm using a Planet-X 120g Merino (£12.99 when I bought it, now £14.99), Planet-X long sleeve jersey (£14.99) Tenn Vapour jacket (£37.99 ) all seems very effective and good value compared with the "big" brands.

Scousegaz

2 Baa Baa Merino wool base layers under a Tenn Softshell Waterproof & Windproof Jacket, 2 pairs Endura socks and overshoes, Baa Baa Merino wool skull cap, Altura Reflex Windproof gloves, Wool Neckwarmer...............................if all that doesnt keep me warm I opt for the car keys :boxing:

Scousegaz

PS..................and a large pair of underpants :shy:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I am a tightwad / very budget kit man so my kit consists of...

aldi long sleeve compression base layer
aldi ss jersey
decathlon padded shorts
aldi running tights
aldi full finger gloves
lidl MTB spd shoes
no-name overshoes
free buff from C+
free windproof from C+
Thermal socks

I am warm enough all winter like that , when it was really cold last winter i added some arm+ legwarmers and a vest and two pairs of socks.

Got an aldi waterproof coat now thats a bit thicker than my windproof so i will be trying that this winter.

Hi All,
Came back from a ride tonight ,got caught in the rain, completely cold and soaked from head to foot!
Can anyone recommend ,from their experience , warm, windproof and waterproof kit ?

I'm talking Jackets , bib tights , overshoes, gloves and socks a complete winter kit if you will, anything to keep us all going.

Ive been looking at Pearl Izumi Amfib bibs , anyone use these, the manufactures claim they are warm,waterproof and wind proof !!
Thanks Benn.

Not used the PI stuff but I did by a load of Giordana stuff earlier this year and the Bibtights are excellent. Very warm indeed. I'm sure they would suffice to below zero and when I wore legwarmers underneath I nearly melted. When I cycle home from work as late as 1am in the morning I have an immediate fast descent with no real chance of getting warm and the bibs are great.

Ribble don't have the exact ones I bought (Giordana Bodyclone Windtex Bib Tights) but I see they are doing a waterproof pair at a decent discount.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/ro...on-Waterproof-Bib-Tights-with-pad/GIORZBBT480
I haven't used them myself but I would vouch for the quality of the brand.

I know what you mean about the lack of replies. My own first question on the site has gone unanswered since yesterday.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
If its warm bibbed tights your after you won't go wrong with any brand that has the Du Pont (tm) & Themastat (tm)

simgsxr

Aldi merino base layer, cheap and superb, Aldi long sleeved winter top, Gore phantom windstopper jacket, expensive but worth every penny. The Gore jacket is windproof & showerproof only but have ridden 6 hours in winter in the rain, got damp but do not seem to get cold. Giant chill long finger gloves, lightweight water/wind proof glove works down to 0 degrees. DHB roubaix bib tights for the lower half, not wind or waterproof but as PpPete mentioned, the body should generate enough heat to feel comfortable.

Top Bottom