Winter commute clothing advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grumpyfatman

As a newcomer to the idea of winter commuting im looking for advice on suitable clothing.

Personally I've always been a fair weather cyclist in the past and this year so far I've maintained that approach. However I'm keen to give less fair weather commuting a shot.

I know I won't get away with my short sleeve tshirts and shorts in the colder, wetter weather so what's your tips for suitable clothing for the winter commute?

At the moment I own nothing suitable beyond a very old waterproof raincoat lol!

vickster

Legendary Member
Altura night vision jacket
Bib longs or waist tights
merino baselayers
windproof jersey
buffs
skullcap (or beanies if go helmet less), ear band
overshoes or winter boots
good gloves and liners
glasses
merino socks
Mudguards for the bike...

think layers.
Base layer: synthetic or merino, not cotton. T shirt style is good, no need for cycle jersey.
Shell: windproof for dry or when it rains, waterproof, breathable. Softshell works as either. Sleeveless gillet is useful in intermediate temps. High necks, low backs, pit zips and chest pocket, fluro colour and 360 degree reflective bits.
Extremities: wool socks, waterproof socks, gloves, neck-tube, ear warmer, thin beanie.
Midlayer: thin woolly jumper(s) or fleece. Fleece gillet. You can put an insulating layer over your shell for cold starts and stops.
Windproof or waterproof shoes/boots. Not mesh.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
If you have a decent length commute and it rains, you'll get wet, regardless of what you're wearing. So you have a choice, warm and wet or cold and wet. Don't worry about trying to keep your skin dry, it's the most waterproof yet breathable thing ever, just keep it warm.

jay clock

Massive member
1 Don't be tempted to overdress
2 Leg and arm warmers are great in Sept to Nov and Feb to April
3 The gilet is your friend
4 Avoid waterproof trousers

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I agree with everything above and as you can see, it is not cheap keeping warm in Winter.

To keep your hands dry and toastie get a pair of camouflage overmitts from ebay for about £11

I have had 2 Altura Night Vision jackets but have now bought a Berghaus Pacalite jacket, which I think is better than the Altura jackets.

I use 240 denier tights under my bib longs. Very light, thin and warm. An old bricklayers trick.

Unfortunately if you want to stay dry, it is hard to avoid waterproof trousers.

fimm

Veteran
Non-padded longs that you can pull over your shorts may be a cheaper way of getting longs than buying cycling longs. I am a fan of Ron Hills myself.
+1 for woolen socks. Warm even when wet.
In my opinion, clear glasses are better than no glasses when it rains. Yes, they get rained up, but they keep the rain out of your eyes. They are also good when it is windy.

Sim2003

How long it takes may change requirements but here is me

I commute everyday in all weather albeit only 5miles which now takes me 20mins, it use to take 40 mins.

In general I only wear my shorts and t-shirt and maybe my hoodie. I take and keep a spare set in my work locker in case it rains. I only tend to go all out on waterproofs and warmth when temps are in the minus and its raining . Just double or treble up on socks, wear some nice gloves, as I find it important to keep my toes and fingers cosy.

If raining and cold some cheaper waterproofs in bag do the job. If you need something to keep your ears and nose warm. I use one of those tube things.

One thing I do find helps a lot though is to get all geared up and let yourself warm up in home for 10-15 mins in it.

Could spend a fortune on gear when its not always needed.

If you are wanting the gear take a look at this great value and I shall be having it for my long day rides.
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BNWINTERSPEC/mega-winter-bundle

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grumpyfatman

Grumpyfatman

Cheers for the advice everyone. Some excellent information to consider.
My own journey is around 7 - 8 miles depending on route, but takes both on and off road so it's regularly wet and muddy anyway.
In previous years I've commuted well into November but the moment it reached a point where I wasn't warming up at any point of the journey I usually change method of transport.
I'll let you know how I get on, can see the winter commuting is likely to cost me a lot to get started with. Never mind the fact I need new lights too! :smile:
It's a shame I've not managed to convince the other half of the necessity for a winter bike yet either... ;)

fimm

Veteran
Keep an eye out for Lidl/Aldi cycle stuff (usually flagged up on here) - I have a pair of their cycling longs which are not perfect but have served me fine over a number of years for an occasional one hour each way commute (I have an alternative bike-train-bike option that I do most of the time, but I do manage to keep the long commute going one day a week through the winter, depending on exactly what the weather is throwing at me...)

puffinbilly

Veteran
The Aldi winter cycling event is on Thursday 24th Sept - get one of their soft shell jackets for £17 and some longs for a tenner and then just build from there - it doesn't have to be expensive - remember it's going to get some pretty harsh conditions.
Cheap but effective lights are the Cree T6 and numerous clones starting at £12 and other discussions re lights for a winter commute.
Another essential for a winter commute is a buff - the hollow tube to pull up around your neck - very effective and cheap to keep you warm.

One last thing - as you're from the same neck of the woods as me - I'm in Newcastle - a good shooting rifle is essential to scare off the polar bears that are common from December onwards up here.;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grumpyfatman

Grumpyfatman

i try to keep an eye on Aldi and Lidl for their cycling kit but presently i'm a tad larger than their largest sizes, its why I've started cycling and commuting again.
I'll keep an eye out for kit, that planet x link was interesting, though I fear again the sizes of some of the kit weren't suitable. :smile: but it's pointed me in the right direction

Top Bottom