Winter cycling shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gam001

Über Member
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying some winter road shoes as the weather starts turning cold and wet and wondered if anybody had any advice on whether to buy or not, and which ones to buy / avoid.

In particular, the Northwave Fahrenheit GTX shoes have caught my eye...

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/northwave/fahrenheit-gtx-shoe-ec025068

Last winter, I wore my normal road shoes with thick socks with good overshoes. My feet still ended up cold and wet on longer wekend rides though! Do winter shoes make much difference? They don't seem cheap, but would be willing to buy if they do work for longer weekend rides.

Thanks,

Gary

Noodley

Bargaintastic

http://www.merlincyc...DORA-ARTIC-ROAD

I bought a pair not too long ago, got a size larger than usual to accomodate thicker socks

vickster

Legendary Member
Ugly things aren't they :laugh: Look like something from 70s Czech Republic

But can get another 10% with VIP10

amaferanga

Veteran
The Diadora Chilli Extreme are very good. I used to have some Northwave Celsius boots, but found them to heavy and restrictive for every day use. The Diadora on the other hand feel like a normal shoe, just a bit heavier and the ankle gaitor is much better than a full on boot for the road.

You'll still need overshoes though whatever you buy.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have got the northwave, they are pretty good. You still have the problem of them filling with water it your legs are getting drenched as it runns down the tights or legs and as they are pretty sealed units they fill up!

I solved it by putting on mudguards and sealskinz over my socks and over the top of the boots and tights. Think the guards played the biggest part

stephec

Legendary Member
good socks and overshoes

I wasted money on winter boots once, never again

Same here, I used the Shimano boots and found them to be cold at around 0 - 5 celsius. Soles are a lot thicker as well which changes your saddle height, a bummer if you want to use your normal shoes.

Garz

Squat Member
I used to have some Northwave Celsius boots, but found them to heavy and restrictive for every day use.

I use these shoes now (thanks buddy)! I do find them rather cumbersome compared to road shoes however when you break them in they feel good. I actually found clipping into normal SPD's hard from using SL's for so long.

For the winter period though they take a battering well and can see them taking the place for a few years instead of ruining expensive light and aero shoes that are designed for the fair weather let's be honest.

For the money I paid for them I ain't grumbling put it that way.
smile.gif

buggi

Bird Saviour
good socks and overshoes

I wasted money on winter boots once, never again

+1 although i never wasted money on winter boots, i just bought the good socks and overshoes. merino wool socks, neoprene overshoes (neoprene because the "waterproof" ones are never really THAT waterproof and neoprene keep your feet warm if they get wet, merino wool socks coz they are quick drying and will be dry by the time you come to cycle home).

OP
OP
gam001

gam001

Über Member
Thanks very much everyone for your input on this.

Sounds like different people have different views / experiences .

I think I will stick with good socks and good overshoes again for now and may dabble with the winter shoes (plus overshoes) as a last resort if that doesn't work.

Hopefully, the weather won't be too bad this year (ever the optimist!).

Thanks again,

Gary.

Top Bottom