winter cycling (snow)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

waynenortheast

Are there many people still using their bikes in the snow/ice this winter is there such a thing as studded tyres (if so where do you get them)? or is there a better tyre, my tyres currently are Maxxis.com Ardent are these good or are their better...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
If you are going to get studded tyres get them now ... previous years it has been difficult to get stock once the UK has ground to a halt in the snow. Though maybe they will have ordered more this year as they become more common. Between myself and Mr Summerdays we have Marathon Winter and Marathon Snow tyres and a spare bike each. It was a case of what we could get hold of two years ago. But we haven't fitted them yet so hopefully no snow in the south for a bit longer.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wiggle/Chain Reaction etc all sell studded tyres. I've has MTB Schwalbe Snow studs two years now and they are superbe. I still commute on the road bike, but when the ice (usually) and snow arrives, out comes the MTB. Best to have them fitted to a spare bike though as the tyres are bomb proof, heavy and slow. Stocks will be running low though.

Bicycle

About twelve years ago I commuted by bicycle in Sarajevo through two winters, a thirty-minute ride in from 0700 and then back home from 1700ish. It was often dark and usually below zero Celcius from December to March. Much of that time there was snow on the ground and some minor roads were neither ploughed nor gritted.

Even in a place like that, there were many days during the snowy period when the roads were clear and dry... on others they were slushy... Studded tyres (had I known they existed) might have been an issue on a changing surface.

I found standard knobblies were fine. I was on tarmac (sometimes the pavement) or well-trodden footpaths all the way and my route was almost entirely flat (there are moutains all around, but the city is like the bottom of a bowl).

I'm fascinated by the idea of studded tyres on a bicycle, but I never felt I was putting enough power down to need them.

My only major problem in two winters was freezing my brake cables through lack of maintenance and having a heart-attack moment when neither lever would budge...

Knobblies with a good amount of flesh still on them did it for me. Many will disagree with this, but that's what I found.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I found standard tyres on the hybrid to be fine last winter, even on days with 15" of snow. Normal tyres + cycle in walking boots. Many will disagree but it's how I got about 30th Nov - 3rd December 2010 when it was 'bad'.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've never seen the need for studded tyres - but then my commute is entirely on gritted roads. Even in the worst conditions the roads are either clear, or have a covering of soft snow/slush, actual icy is rare.

When it;s been snowing I leave the road-bike at home and take the MTB, but stick with standard muddy condition knoblies. Can't say I've ever had a problem.

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't think freshly fallen snow is too much of a problem on any tyre but black ice and compacted snow are a real problem. I also prefer to keep my derailleur geared bikes away from any gritted roads as it's a hassle to clean them. SS, fixed or 3 speed is the way to go at this time of year.

HovR

Über Member
I used my MTB through the snow and ice last winter on plain knoblies (not studded) and didn't have a single incident. As has been said, the issue isn't the freshly fallen snow but rather ice and compacted snow. On roads which get a medium amount of traffic and no grit, the snow can often turn into a slushy mess, which then freezes becoming rough with deep gullies where the tires of the cars have been.

When riding in the snow/ice it is important to not to accelerate or corner aggressively, and to make sure that you brake gently using the rear wheel. I don't advise using the front brake in the snow/ice as if it locks up you have a high chance of coming off! If I find myself on sheet ice with no studs, I just coast over it without changing direction or speed.

I've taken a look at your tires, and they seem to have a nice aggressive tread, which should be okay in the snow, however nothing but studs will get a good grip on ice.

This is my experience in snow riding, others may vary depending on location/snowfall etc.

Are there many people still using their bikes in the snow/ice this winter is there such a thing as studded tyres (if so where do you get them)? or is there a better tyre, my tyres currently are Maxxis.com Ardent are these good or are their better...

Wayne im in the same area as you, I usually ride all year round in any conditions. My road bikes both run Michellin Pro race 3, I have never had any problems. However in the worst of the weather last year I did default to my MTB which runs schwalbe racing ralphs, again I didnt have any real problems. Its just a matter of being a little more cautious.

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
My studded schwalbe marathon winters (studded) have been invaluable on the untreated roads between here and Inverness. I could not do without them (although the roads are over 500ft elevation for just under half the way, and the last 2 days have been impassable, studs or not - snow plough been through today, and I should be back on the bike tomorrow). I got mine from Spa cycles. Cheapest I've seen and free delivery. A worthwhile investment for me, but I guess it depends on your usual route and whether it gets treated or not.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b6s142p1942

Cal

Would it be really stupid to have just one studded tyre - as in a spare wheel with tyre for the front?

To quickly change when icy or heavy snow or would it be madness to have two different tyres?

HovR

Über Member
Would it be really stupid to have just one studded tyre - as in a spare wheel with tyre for the front?

To quickly change when icy or heavy snow or would it be madness to have two different tyres?

Having one studded tire up front will still give you significant advantages over plain knoblies, especially when steering.

Obviously you will still have reduced traction on the rear wheel, but that is generally recoverable, where as a front wheel skid/slide is very likely to send you off.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Its hard for me to justify Mwinters at their price when i dont cycle commute and can just dodge a snowy day, but i did enjoy cycling in the snow last year, particularly when the cars were struggling. Ive thought about putting one on the front too, but not convinced itd get enough use with what little snow we *should* get.

Top Bottom