Winter cycling tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello friends , how is everyone?
Who is still cycling , who is waiting for the sun to come out ?
It was out today and long may it last!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Hello friends , how is everyone?
Who is still cycling , who is waiting for the sun to come out ? Any tips to stay safe? I am thinking of changing my tyres back to the knobbly ones to avoid slipping !

Do you ride off road? If not, then I would not change your tyres to knobblies. Winter riding tips, stay warm, you cannot stay dry, take it easier on corners, watch out for manholes when turning but most of all be extra careful or don’t cycle when it is icy.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I went this evening as I wanted to see how my new rear light was. Lots of wide passes so very happy with it. It’s got those laser lights that shine on the ground so it looks like you are cycling in a lane.
I might swap onto my gravel tyres soon too.

I have various pairs of gloves for various temperatures. A few buffs, polar and not polar. Lightweight fleeces, orange hi vis night vision jacket and a Boardman reflective (all of it is reflective) jacket. Waterproof socks really help too as do my winter riding boots.

I have ridden all winter for the past few years. Less probably, than in summer, but I have kept on riding and plan to this winter. It’s my ‘me time’.

mangid

Guru
Slow down ?

Studded tyres for the snowy icy conditions, otherwise seldom have trouble with the 23c's on the fixed, even on icy frosty mornings well below zero. Read the road, manhole covers can be slippery, often are recessed and have raised edges which can catch a tyre, they also often develop deep potholes around the metal frame. Avoid puddles as they can hide potholes. Leaf mulch, I always give it way more attention than is probably required.

Boots for the cold mornings, went for years wearing the road shoes and moaning about feet getting cold, cycling boots with a good high cuff made a world of difference. Cycling longs go on the outside of the over shoes so the water drains away to the outside, not inside the boots.

Anticipate, indicate changes in road position well in advance of potential obstacles, show the drivers what you avoided, thank the driver when they
pass you (I'm more than convinced I now get far better passes). Brake early and gently, locking a wheel is when you're most likely to go over.

Clean the bike after every ride, clean the chain after a wet and dirty ride.

lane

Veteran
It's not really cold yet so no issue with that. Tyres - will leave my 32mm tubeless GP5000 on and continue to run at 60psi should be fine. Keep looking at the road and take it carefully especially leaves - not that I am that fast in the first place. But I do exercise care, cornering, breaking and descending.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I prefer knobbly tyres for riding over leaf mulch, especially on gravel. They seem to bite through it rather than just rolling over the top. Did about 15 miles at lunchtime on my Raleigh Royal, and with 27" x 1 1/8" 1980's vintage road tyres I was taking it very easy indeed over wet fallen leaves. Stayed very light on the brakes and kept my speed down. No dramas, but the lack of grip was very apparent and any hard braking or sudden steering could have easily had me off.

My tip is get the clothing right - be aware that the temperature can plummet once the sun goes down. There's nothing more miserable than not being warm enough. And when fingers and feet go numb with cold, it's harder to control the bike. So a few thoughts for you:

1) Loads of thin layers are better than one or two thick ones.
2) Windproof outer layer
3) A good pair of winter gloves
4) Thermal socks
5) Beanie under the helmet
6) Buff
7) Plenty of reflectives - the snap strips for wrists and ankles are good

raleighnut

Legendary Member

:becool:

Top Bottom