Winter cycling tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm not sure about how much the tread will make a difference the cynic in me says probably not that much. Wider tyres with a larger contact patch though - absolutely - especially when you run them at a lower pressure for extra grip.
Does that work? Lower pressure and larger contact patch means less force squeezing the crud away. Only saving grace is a larger contact patch will be more likely to have some part on clean tarmac instead of crud, but IMO that's not going to work on unswept woodland routes with leaf fall buildup.

My bikes mostly run the same 37mm aka 1⅜" year round at the same 40/60psi. Tread should mean the crud only needs squeezing into the nearest groove, rather than clear of the contact patch on slicks.

si_c

Guru
Does that work? Lower pressure and larger contact patch means less force squeezing the crud away. Only saving grace is a larger contact patch will be more likely to have some part on clean tarmac instead of crud, but IMO that's not going to work on unswept woodland routes with leaf fall buildup.

That's broadly the mechanism I rely on. The tread on most bikes won't do much to break up leaves or other road crud so you need a greater contact patch to keep grip up and then if the wheel slides you've got a larger area to find more grip with.

In my experience a mountain bike is no better at keeping grip on wet leaves than a road bike despite the much more pronounced tread on the tyres.

CXRAndy

Guru
I must be a softy, but for the last 3-4 years, I retreat indoors from September and just use the turbo. I ride about 5-10 hours a week, keeping fit, training etc. Come around late March I will venture out.

I tend to be reverse for seasons, I do far more in winter than summer.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I retreat indoors from September and just use the turbo. I ride about 5-10 hours a week, keeping fit, training etc.

You must have a higher boredom threshold than me, because I would only be able to manage 5 minutes of "cycling" on a turbo trainer before thinking "bollox to this shite, I'm going out for a beer instead" I never find real cycling boring, but if the weather isn't nice, I'll spend less time riding and do less miles.

CXRAndy

Guru
You must have a higher boredom threshold than me, because I would only be able to manage 5 minutes of "cycling" on a turbo trainer before thinking "bollox to this shite, I'm going out for a beer instead" I never find real cycling boring, but if the weather isn't nice, I'll spend less time riding and do less miles.

I absolutely love it. I can spend upto 4 hours on the the turbo but usually around 2 hours for training. I combine Zwift and Trainer Road on one screen. I have a decent setup, with a quality turbo, rocker board to allow side sway. I have a Wahoo climb which allows the bike to be set on incline to simulate climbing a mountain route.

Now with Tacx and Wahoo making fantastic training bikes with numerous features and endless fitting sizes.

You should try Zwift for racing, social group rides and training

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
join-us-were-totally-not-zombies.jpg

Or you could keep cycling in the real world...

lane

Veteran
I do a bit of cross training in the winter mostly swimming. A bit of variation is not a bad thing. Still like to get a weekend ride in providing it isn't ice. Just bought a new extra warm base layer for the cold weather.

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Everyone cycles in different ways and i acknowledged that in my post.
I'm just a leisure cyclist, i only cycle for enjoyment, and only when weather conditions suit me.
Nothing wrong with being a leisure cyclist

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

I must be a softy, but for the last 3-4 years, I retreat indoors from September and just use the turbo. I ride about 5-10 hours a week, keeping fit, training etc. Come around late March I will venture out.

I am doing a lot more gym exercise now ! Felt other parts of the body also needed a bit of shaking up !

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

I do a bit of cross training in the winter mostly swimming. A bit of variation is not a bad thing. Still like to get a weekend ride in providing it isn't ice. Just bought a new extra warm base layer for the cold weather.
I wish i could swim

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

I absolutely love it. I can spend upto 4 hours on the the turbo but usually around 2 hours for training. I combine Zwift and Trainer Road on one screen. I have a decent setup, with a quality turbo, rocker board to allow side sway. I have a Wahoo climb which allows the bike to be set on incline to simulate climbing a mountain route.

Now with Tacx and Wahoo making fantastic training bikes with numerous features and endless fitting sizes.

I have heard a lot about zwift

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

I am kind of the same. But during training for pedal to paris i was forced to do hours of indoor cycling and amount of sweating that it leads to showed me the benefit of doing it. So i am trying to somehow stay put on the cycle and pedal on inspite of it being incredibly boring

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Indoor or outdoors ?

Top Bottom