Winter gear at Aldi next week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woohoo

Veteran
Don't forget though folks, Aldi take chip and pin debit cards but they don't accept any form of credit card.
That's true for Lidl but Aldi (well my local one anyway) have been happy to take payment from my Visa credit card for some time (well over a year).

davefb

Guru
That's true for Lidl but Aldi (well my local one anyway) have been happy to take payment from my Visa credit card for some time (well over a year).

thats wierd, they wouldnt accept my credit card last time i was in ??

and it was a visa :-/

[edit]

couldnt find anything on the aldi site,, but
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi
mentions that wales + scotland are doing credit card trials,, but england no.... ( and other countries)

[ aldi is really interesting(*), compare with puma and adidas :biggrin: ]

(*) okay its not,, but from the point of two brothers who fall out,, then found large companies, it's pretty cool :smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well the one I went to doesn't take Visa, I wasn't really thinking and just handed over a card. Bought overshoes for Mr Summerdays but the largest they had were 10/11 ... not sure if they are going to be big enough.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I got bib trousers, merino jersey, jacket, gloves, overshoes and hat :ohmy: had to stop myself getting more. The bill only came to £50ish bearing in mind a jersey can cost you £60 or £70 fantastic value . The jacket seems much better than last years in terms of fit. My only worry is i know have a desire for it ot be colder so i can try them out and that just isn't right :blush:

woohoo

Veteran
thats wierd, they wouldnt accept my credit card last time i was in ??

and it was a visa :-/

[edit]

couldnt find anything on the aldi site,, but
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi
mentions that wales + scotland are doing credit card trials,, but england no.... ( and other countries)

[ aldi is really interesting(*), compare with puma and adidas :biggrin: ]

(*) okay its not,, but from the point of two brothers who fall out,, then found large companies, it's pretty cool :smile:

I asked them today about credit cards (not that I was going to use one to buy some gloves!) and it turns out that my local Aldi was one of those used for a long credit card trial which stopped in August. So it's back to the situation as described by Mark_Robson above of cash or debit card only for me anyway (maybe they'll start another trial period somewhere else).

3 towels, shirt, merino shirt, shorts, waterproof pants and jacket... Kerching!! (£78). I could have been in there now if my mate hadn't dragged me back to work.

Gave the stand a miss - looks a good storage stand but fixed to the wall and not a work stand so not for me.

If only Aldi did tyres....

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
 Shorts - the black ones aren't calf length which was a disappointment and I didn't want brown

Arm and leg warmers - both large.  The arm pair have to go back as they are too big, the leg ones are a perfect fit.  Must say something about my lack of upper body exercising  :blush:

darth vadar

Über Member
In the main, I think Aldi is great for cycling gear - except for their sizing!!!

I am just about 44" chest yet the extra large size (46 - 48") is way too snug for my liking.

These 'smaller' sizes seem to be a fairly recent phenomenon as I still comfortably wear an extra large jacket that I got from Aldi about two or three years ago.

Surely, inches are the same in any language so why the discrepency?

Also, all the gear use to hang neatly from racks, and now it is just piled up. When I got there it looked like a war zone!!!

Right, moan over!!!!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Jersey and winter longs have to go back - they'd be good value if they fit! Made the mistake of buying a medium jersey last September, which was far too long - pockets kept catching on the saddle when I stood up! :ohmy: So ..... thought 'small' would be the answer this time - but no! - just as long, pockets dragging below arse, but tighter, 'racing fit'. Not smaller - just thinner. The 'small' longs are still about 6" too long, just narrower in the waist. Shame! Long Johns OK (medium), but the back is a bit short for cycling, will keep them - as I will the arm and leg warmers. 'Winter' socks look OK - be interesting to see how warm they actually are. Jackets looked good value, as did shoes (no 7s/41s though - and I was about first in the store). Couldn't bring myself to buy the gloves - with 'Biking' logos on them. Wish they would realise that such logos really look cheap and tacky.
By the way, I may not be the tallest chap, but am by no means deformed - the fit/sizing of some of their kit is really weird! :sad:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Last year I bought a large softshell winter jacket and it was too short on the arms, this year i bought a large softshell winter jacket tried it and the arms are fine :blush:.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
bought socks that was it :tongue: the rest didnae seem any better than what I have already plus the sizing is a lottery for the clothes.

ACS

Legendary Member
I have never considered St Andrews to be a hive of cycling activity, see one or two students on BSO's meandering up to the halls from the direction of the pub, some commuter types in the morning or evening and the occasional roadie but that is pretty much that. Because of this I have never placed any great importance in walking up to Aldi's to get my winter washing machine fodder. In the past I have been able to nip in up to a week later without concern always plenty left.

I had a slightly later start this morning and as I have to pass the emporium I took the opportunity while I had it. Parked the car (not my normal mode of transport) looked over and was shocked to see bikes of all shapes and sizes stacked 2 and 3 deep against the wall. This was ten past nine in the moring.

Raced in and it was bedlam, cyclist’s crowed in just one corner, elbows out with their ‘war faces’ on, pushing and shoving, arguing with each other, bit like a flare up in a bad tempered rugby scrum. More handbags than ‘come try if your hard enough’ but certainly enlightening.

One lad was standing on his packets of clothing while trying on a winter jacket; he took off the jacket, held it out at arm’s length making that final decision, he went to put it back it was removed from his grip by another hoarder and he was at the till before anyone else had a chance to utter a protest.

Note to self: Opening time is 9am be there, scrum cap opional but advisable.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have never considered St Andrews to be a hive of cycling activity, see one or two students on BSO's meandering up to the halls from the direction of the pub, some commuter types in the morning or evening and the occasional roadie but that is pretty much that. Because of this I have never placed any great importance in walking up to Aldi's to get my winter washing machine fodder. In the past I have been able to nip in up to a week later without concern always plenty left.

I had a slightly later start this morning and as I have to pass the emporium I took the opportunity while I had it. Parked the car (not my normal mode of transport) looked over and was shocked to see bikes of all shapes and sizes stacked 2 and 3 deep against the wall. This was ten past nine in the moring.

Raced in and it was bedlam, cyclist’s crowed in just one corner, elbows out with their ‘war faces’ on, pushing and shoving, arguing with each other, bit like a flare up in a bad tempered rugby scrum. More handbags than ‘come try if your hard enough’ but certainly enlightening.

One lad was standing on his packets of clothing while trying on a winter jacket; he took off the jacket, held it out at arm’s length making that final decision, he went to put it back it was removed from his grip by another hoarder and he was at the till before anyone else had a chance to utter a protest.

Note to self: Opening time is 9am be there, scrum cap opional but advisable.

Blimey...........no such trouble round here. My local one tends to have the bike stuff in for months. Bought 2 winter jackets a few months back - from last year's promotion.....

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Yeah.... looked as if there would be loads of stuff left. 'Though the smaller arm and leg warmers had all gone by about 10am, and the smaller base layers too. There were never many in the smaller sizes anyway. If my experience is anything to go by there will be a lot more after the stuff that doesn't fit is returned to the store. Didn't see anyone buy a bikestand - there was a great pile of them - might be tempted if they discount them. I see that Lidl will be selling a workstand in a couple of weeks - but maybe that's worth another thread ......

Top Bottom