Winter gear at Aldi next week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone know how do those bike-stands come? Are they in bits/flat packed or fully assembled? I need to get it home on the bike (even if over a couple of trips).

ta

P

Canardly

Veteran
Note of caution with all this stuff is that you need to go early. Stocks within branches are usually very limited and in you are in a location where cycling is popular they disappear quickly.

davefb

Guru
hi,
thinking of getting their shoes ( amongst other things). Now not had any proper cycle shoes before, so any advice would be useful..

i fink..

1. euro sized, so good, i can get 9.5 properly :biggrin:.. but should i get slightly looser than normal or 'slacker' ?

2. now, the cleats come with the pedals ( yeah?) but the bottoms of the aldi shoe, are they in any way limiting or are they normal standard ones? just checking i'm not limiting my later choices in any way.. :smile:

thnx

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
1. euro sized, so good, i can get 9.5 properly :biggrin:.. but should i get slightly looser than normal or 'slacker' ?
Just get the so they fit - you might want to ease them up a bit on longer rides (feet can swell a bit if it's hot, ime).

Bear in mind that last time the shoes were VERY wide - you don't want to be chafing your feets with every pedal stroke, so try them on if possible & make sure they hold your feet ok when done up.
2. now, the cleats come with the pedals ( yeah?) but the bottoms of the aldi shoe, are they in any way limiting or are they normal standard ones? just checking i'm not limiting my later choices in any way.. :smile:
Not that I can see from the picture. SPD will fit fine - you'd need a different sort of shoe for "Road" pedals (i.e. 3 bolt cleats like SPD-SL or similar).

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
hi,
thinking of getting their shoes ( amongst other things). Now not had any proper cycle shoes before, so any advice would be useful..

i fink..

thnx

Shoes seem to be for SPD pedals. 2 bolts not the 3 most road pedals take. Most purists on here would not been seen with SPD pedals on a road bike. SPD is normally for MTB's. They do, however, seem to have part of the sole built up to allow you to walk easier and not slip over by walking just on the cleat. I use M520's on my road bike so I can use MTB shoes if I want to go shopping and dhb R1's if I just want to ride. Crank brother's pedal cleats use the same fitting I beleive.

davefb

Guru
Shoes seem to be for SPD pedals. 2 bolts not the 3 most road pedals take. Most purists on here would not been seen with SPD pedals on a road bike. SPD is normally for MTB's. They do, however, seem to have part of the sole built up to allow you to walk easier and not slip over by walking just on the cleat. I use M520's on my road bike so I can use MTB shoes if I want to go shopping and dhb R1's if I just want to ride. Crank brother's pedal cleats use the same fitting I beleive.

ahh okay, i'm guessing these are newbie questions ;) ...
my bikes a hybrid (dawes201) and i tend to cycle 50/50 road and 'cycle tracks which can be muddy' on my commute , so whats the deal with 'spd' and why is it associated with mtb instead of spd-sl ? I can't work it out from shimano's website as it just seems like 'adverblerb' :smile:..

the m520, thats the pedal , err yeah?

if i get a pedal like that, surely I can't ride without the cycle shoes then? ? ?
[edit]
1. ahh okay, mtb-> recessed , road -> not recessed..
2. yes you can get flip pedals flat on one side, clip on other :smile:

okay, thanks for help , i'll try to get some thursday :smile:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
the m520, thats the pedal , err yeah?

if i get a pedal like that, surely I can't ride without the cycle shoes then? ? ?

M520 is shimano's bottom of the line "MTB" pedal.

I use those on my drop bar commuter (a touring bike).

It uses an SPD cleat, which is small, triangular in shape, and uses two bolts to attach to the shoe. Plusses are that they're cheap, the pedal is double sided (easier to clip in to) and most importantly for MTB, they shed mud well. You can also use shoes that recess the cleat, allowing you to walk in cleated shoes. Some folk find the small cleat gives them "hot foot" problems over long distances (in my case, 20 miles or so at a good pace, I've toured doing 40-50 miles on SPD pedals with no ill effect).

"Road" pedals have a larger 3 bolt cleat that's walkable for short distances only. The pedals tend to be single sided (harder to clip in to) but do spread your pedalling force over a larger area, and so are comfortable for longer rides at decent speed than SPD.

pepecat

Ok, being totally dense here - are we saying that the shoes aldi will be selling are for MTB cleats/pedals only? Or can they be used for road cycling?
I'm fairly new to road cycling and would like to experiment with cleats (currently cycle with toe straps and quite like it) and was thinking of getting some of the shoes at aldi because they're cheap and if I don't get on with them, I haven't wasted huge amounts of money.
Would it be worth it?
Presumably i'd have to get the M520 pedals ( i don't mind having MTB pedals on a road bike) and cleats - with float?

crumpetman

What bike storage? I only see a workstand :\

I don't think it's a workstand. It holds two bikes one above the other but not secure enough to work on them.

http://www.aldi.co.u...buys3_15619.htm

The description even says:

• Heavy-duty bike stand
  • Securely holds 2 bikes in a compact space
  • Independent adjustment arms for level bike storage

Do you notice that it holds the bikes by the top tube? I'm not sure if you would be able to do things like take off wheels but perhaps something like cleaning the chain? It certainly looks to be a storage device rather than a proper workstand.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Ok, being totally dense here - are we saying that the shoes aldi will be selling are for MTB cleats/pedals only?

Yes, in the sense that the small two bolt cleat & pedal is usually referred to as MTB pedals. That doesn't mean you have to only use them on MTBS - the pedals will fit any standard crank arm.

Or can they be used for road cycling?

They can - as I said in my earlier reply, some folk don't like them for long rides because all the pedal force goes through a fairly small area.

I'm fairly new to road cycling and would like to experiment with cleats (currently cycle with toe straps and quite like it) and was thinking of getting some of the shoes at aldi because they're cheap and if I don't get on with them, I haven't wasted huge amounts of money.
Would it be worth it?
Presumably i'd have to get the M520 pedals ( i don't mind having MTB pedals on a road bike) and cleats - with float?
Yes it would - clipless pedals are an improvement over flats & straps, imo, as long as you don't mind riding in the "special" shoes. They're more secure in the wet, and easier to release from than straps, ime.

Yes you have to buy the pedals. On the M520, float is adjusted by chainging the spring tension - you don't have to worry about buying cleats with float.

davefb

Guru
fwiw, i'm looking at getting the shimano spd424 ( or similar), so i can use the pedals in 'normal shoe mode'... I accept it'll mean i have to get the pedal the right way round to clip in :smile:, but i'm happy with that :smile:..

think i might get away with them, without the 'wife spending authority' noticing ;)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
fwiw, i'm looking at getting the shimano spd424 ( or similar), so i can use the pedals in 'normal shoe mode'... I accept it'll mean i have to get the pedal the right way round to clip in :smile:, but i'm happy with that :smile:..

The HUGE plus of the M520 is that you're shelling out £20 to try them out - they're simple, and doublesided, so clip ins are easier.

I'd be wary of paying more for something where you have to flip the pedal or negotiate a cage to clip in for my first clipless, personally, but ymmv, as they say.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i agree with john the monkey about 3-bolt cleats being better for long distances. that said, plenty of folk on the saturday club run ride in spds for distances up to about 100 miles, so they can't all be wrong.

i tried spds once (admittedly cheapo lidl ones), and just didn't get on with them. having to hobble around at the café stop is hardly a major penalty for more suitable footwear over a decent milage…

Top Bottom