Winter Gear? Avoiding Cold / Flu when Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
So now that's sorted, here's how to avoid catching colds:

Wash hands immediately on entering your house or before sitting down at work so as to avoid spreading viruses everywhere. Don't touch your eyes or pick your nose, that's the quickest route for a virus to infect you. Take a zinc tablet every day as there's evidence that zinc strengthens the immune system. Zinc tabs are cheap at ASDA. Don't waste money on Vitamin C, the myth about that arose because it was found that you absorb less Vitamin C when you have a cold. Last of all, avoid people!

I have done all this and only had one mild cold in 2 years.

keithmac

Guru
I talk face to face with customers every day, my two children bring all sorts back from School, I end up catching all of it!.

Just had a weeks worth sore thoat headaches etc, I'm on the "green" now so on it's way out..

As everyone says you catch cold / flu off people that already have it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've had some success in the past beating sore throats by gargling with Corsodyl, which claims to kill bacteria and viruses.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cycling etc won't cause you to catch a cold/flu - it's mixing with people that causes it.

Nearly everyone I know has been quite ill with colds/flu/bad coughs this winter. Mine kept me off the bike for about 8 weeks it was that bad.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
It's a general health issue. I've been cycling hard this few years and haven't had as much as a runny nose since I had a bit of pleurisy in Feb 2015. I think the cycling in all weathers has actually improved my general resistance as my health has improved.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Regular exercise significantly maintains the immune system as you age. As long as you don’t overdo it.

As others say out on your bike on your own is the least likely scenario for catching a cold or flu. It is generally enclosed spaces in close proximity with others that spreads viruses.

pjd57

Veteran
Since I started cycling 12 months of the year, a few years ago, I actually feel far better through the winter than I used to.
If I do feel a bit bunged up I always feel better after a run out on the bike.

As has already been said wash hands a lot and wash your gloves as well.

What did you do at the times you weren't cycling ? That is most likely when you picked up the cold, all you can really do is avoid that and to a large degree it probably isn't possible.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've got back into cycling at the end of December '19, with an 8 mile route around two bridges in my city. But mid January got a terrible cold from it, recovered. Got back out this week (Tue) and last week (Sun) only to feel myself coming down with something / under the weather at work today... rough throat, runny nose...

What am I doing wrong? I'm staying wrapped up when cycling, albeit with 'normal' clothes - thermal underlayer, tracksuit bottoms, t-shirt, hoodie, black bin-bag looking coat which is warm and then a cheap cycling jacket over the top. Plus a hat under my helmet and originally cycling gloves, but were too cold so thick warm gloves from Asda. If anything, I was concerned I'd 'overheat and sweat' with these clothes, but not get a cold / flu from it?

Please advise what I can do better or what I can buy. I was quite proud and deliberate about getting back into cycling now in the darkest, longest and coldest nights so that it would only get better as I worked towards summer and then didn't need to think about stopping as next winter approached us.. I see lots of guys out on their bikes - what am I overlooking (and I'm a beginner so I expect it's something obvious but must know)
You can catch a chill by either getting cold or (as usual in my case) getting sweaty then cold. This can lead to feeling like you have a cold or onset of a cold for a while. I also get this at work sometimes due to constantly moving from hot and cold parts of a factory over a lot of hours.
In terms of cycling it’s a case of getting layering and cycling rate right not to overheat or cool. Also, if sweaty when you het home, get out of damp clothes ASAP and get dry and warm.
You’ll adapt better with practice.

Mike_P

Guru
Often a sore throat is the first indication and on some occasions I have found throat lozenges with Hexylresorcinol in them effectively kills the bug from developing further.

OP
OP
sabcycling

sabcycling

Hey guys. Thanks for all the replies. Sorry for my late response. I cycled into January but kept getting bogged down with a cold. February also turned out to be way more brutal and stormy than December and January!

But now this week I’m hoping to get out and do my 3 cycles a week in the evenings. I’m otherwise young and fit but on the thin side and struggle to eat enough but cycling tends to help my appetite and ability to get better sleep so I hope that all takes care of itself.

So if I wrap up and just keep my hands clean I should be fine and it’s likely the cold came from elsewhere anyway - to sum up the replies

Kryton521

Über Member
Avoid sick people (children are virus magnets so avoid them as a matter of course :okay:)

I try and avoid children all the time........ Except when driving the truck and they get close enough to the pavement edge and then; BANG!!!! "Gotcha yer little fockers!!!!"

Globalti

Legendary Member
The kids who dash across the road in the dark, dressed in black, riding bikes with no lights, thinking that no driver would dare hit them, are the most satisfying. The look of surprise when they find themselves on your bonnet is always priceless and worth a few scratches to the paintwork.

Top Bottom