Winter Gear? Avoiding Cold / Flu when Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I would have thought colds and flu will be pretty well down on normal years due to all the COVID19 precautions. No catching them in stuffy offices or buses!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
In theory, the cleaner something or someone is - actually increases the chances of an ailment as sterile environments just end up leaving you more susceptible. Would also open yourself up to issues derived from incessant cleaning and sanitising like dermatitis.

Anecdata: I was never ill with flu etc until my work installed an AC system - I was employed primarily as a cleaner at the time.

vickster

Legendary Member
I honestly can't remember the last time I had a cold and/or flu. Must be at least 5 years
Presumably you don't have school age children!
(nor do I but I do use public transport from time to time, so do get a cold a year, no flu in as long as I can remember as I get vaccinated every year :okay:)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I honestly can't remember the last time I had a cold and/or flu. Must be at least 5 years

After last autumn (I work at a Uni) I swore I was getting a flu jab this year. Hit in mid October with flu, then 'something else' in December for over four weeks (including difficulty breathing). But, my employers don't want us back office lot back in - continue working from home. If we want to go in, there has to be a fairly detailed risk assessment for each of us. I'm not in contact with anyone other than immediate family, so I might just skip the flu jab this year.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Flu absolutely loves me. I used to get it every 3 years, whenever there was a major new strain. I've only had it once since I srarted getting the flu jab about 15 years ago.

Extrapolating, I assumed I'd get coronavirus badly but it turned out to be a 12 hour cough and nothing else. My SO got the cough at the same time, went downhill and was on oxygen for three days before they let her out.

rivers

How far can I go?
After last autumn (I work at a Uni) I swore I was getting a flu jab this year. Hit in mid October with flu, then 'something else' in December for over four weeks (including difficulty breathing). But, my employers don't want us back office lot back in - continue working from home. If we want to go in, there has to be a fairly detailed risk assessment for each of us. I'm not in contact with anyone other than immediate family, so I might just skip the flu jab this year.

I also work in a uni. Lecturers are currently putting together their risk assessments for the modules that have to be taught in person. There is currently a bit of pushback from one course about masks and do they have to be used. I've been back in the office since July prepping for student return. As I'm student facing (technical demonstrator), I've been told I do not need to work with students if they refuse to wear a mask. I've already said to my line manager that if a lecture full of students not wearing masks needs my assistance, I'm not going in. I have his backing.
I am a little worried because I tend to get a cold within a few weeks of students returning to campus. I really do not want to get covid. While I am in a low risk category and will most likely be fine, I don't want to chance it. I don't want to bring it home to my wife either.

Globalti

Legendary Member
We've both had mild sore throats while supposedly distancing. Think we got them while looking closely at drawings with our builder as he had a site throat too. All three of us tested negative but it was a big wake-up for us.

Top Bottom