Winter Gear? Avoiding Cold / Flu when Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've got back into cycling at the end of December '19, with an 8 mile route around two bridges in my city. But mid January got a terrible cold from it, recovered. Got back out this week (Tue) and last week (Sun) only to feel myself coming down with something / under the weather at work today... rough throat, runny nose...

What am I doing wrong? I'm staying wrapped up when cycling, albeit with 'normal' clothes - thermal underlayer, tracksuit bottoms, t-shirt, hoodie, black bin-bag looking coat which is warm and then a cheap cycling jacket over the top. Plus a hat under my helmet and originally cycling gloves, but were too cold so thick warm gloves from Asda. If anything, I was concerned I'd 'overheat and sweat' with these clothes, but not get a cold / flu from it?

Please advise what I can do better or what I can buy. I was quite proud and deliberate about getting back into cycling now in the darkest, longest and coldest nights so that it would only get better as I worked towards summer and then didn't need to think about stopping as next winter approached us.. I see lots of guys out on their bikes - what am I overlooking (and I'm a beginner so I expect it's something obvious but must know)

pawl

Legendary Member
I've got back into cycling at the end of December '19, with an 8 mile route around two bridges in my city. But mid January got a terrible cold from it, recovered. Got back out this week (Tue) and last week (Sun) only to feel myself coming down with something / under the weather at work today... rough throat, runny nose...

What am I doing wrong? I'm staying wrapped up when cycling, albeit with 'normal' clothes - thermal underlayer, tracksuit bottoms, t-shirt, hoodie, black bin-bag looking coat which is warm and then a cheap cycling jacket over the top. Plus a hat under my helmet and originally cycling gloves, but were too cold so thick warm gloves from Asda. If anything, I was concerned I'd 'overheat and sweat' with these clothes, but not get a cold / flu from it?

Please advise what I can do better or what I can buy. I was quite proud and deliberate about getting back into cycling now in the darkest, longest and coldest nights so that it would only get better as I worked towards summer and then didn't need to think about stopping as next winter approached us.. I see lots of guys out on their bikes - what am I overlooking (and I'm a beginner so I expect it's something obvious but must know)

The cold may have been developing prior to you ride.Your follow up ride.It is possible you may not have recovered from your previous ride
When the weather is as cold as it has been recently your resistance can be compromised.I tend to err on the side of caution following a cold or chest infection allowing four or five days after the symptoms have cleared.

If I am very cold on returning from a ride I get in the shower to warm up before doing anything else,except making a hot chocolate.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
As every says you get colds & flu from viruses & germs. BUT I think - and I'm not a doctor - that you're more likely to catch something if you're tired, aren't eating properly, not getting enough sleep or being too cold or, even, too hot.

I know that I can fight off many of the sniffles that go around at this time of year as long as I eat properly & get the regular sleep that I need. So maybe you've just ot managed to fight this one off - don't beat youself up. Wait til you feel better & get back on the bike. As a bonus the days are getting longer the longer you wait so you'll have more daylight to ride in.

You were probably already brewing the lurgies, especially if you are an urbanite. And there's a lot of different ones doing the rounds this winter, so it's really easy to pick up a new one while still recovering from an old one.

Don't think you were doing anything wrong as such in terms of clothing - it all sounds plenty warm enough. Just make sure you recover fully before going out on the bike again, and that you warm up thoroughly if you are coming in chilled after a ride. Hot drinks and hot bath or shower PDQ.

Just make sure you really *have* got over the lurgies before tackling another ride.

FWIW, I'm just getting back on the bike after well over two months off due to a serious bout of sinusitis. I'm keeping the rides very short (6 to 8 miles), wrapping up warm and leaving several days between rides.. Mind, cycling does have the benefit of clearing the snottage from my sinuses, even if I'm very slow and huffing and puffing like a demented tea kettle... :blush:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
The cold weather does not make us poorly directly, but it creates the right environment for viruses to take hold and multiply.

Viruses do not thrive when our body temperature is 37c. The common human virus, rhinovirus, thrives at around 33c, and as our noses tend to be colder than the rest of the body, it's the first point of entry into our bodies. That's why every ill-period starts off with a sniffly nose.

It's the same reason we get high temperature during the mid/later stage of the cold. The body heats itself past 37c to create a hostile environment for the virus and to slowly kill it.

So, in essence wrap up warm.

The cold weather does not make us poorly directly, but it creates the right environment for viruses to take hold and multiply.

Viruses do not thrive when our body temperature is 37c. The common human virus, rhinovirus, thrives at around 33c, and as our noses tend to be colder than the rest of the body, it's the first point of entry into our bodies. That's why every ill-period starts off with a sniffly nose.

It's the same reason we get high temperature during the mid/later stage of the cold. The body heats itself past 37c to create a hostile environment for the virus and to slowly kill it.

So, in essence wrap up warm.
Nope. You can't wrap your nose or pre-heat the air.

Drago

Legendary Member
The only gear that'll prevent you catching a cold or flu is full NATO CBRN suit and respirator, and call me old fashioned but I find that more than a little sweaty to ride in.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Being outside in the fresh air and travelling at, say, 12mph is probably one of the least likely scenarios to actually catch a cold (fellow cyclists snot rockets excepted)

You catch your cold either before or after the ride. Avoid places with lots of people and restricted airflow like buses. Pay attention to hygiene like regular hand washing. Short of wearing a Coronavirus N95 mask that's probably the best you can do

Domus

Guru
Team Sky brought in "an expert" to teach the riders how to wash their hands properly. The theory being, if you are ill you cannot train effectively, germs are easily ingested if a proper hygiene regime is not followed. The riders stayed well, trained hard, and won races.

When I went on my first ever cruise (yes I am that old) the Captain's speech at the start consisted of, enjoy yourselves AND WASH YOUR HANDS.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What am I doing wrong? I'm staying wrapped up when cycling, albeit with 'normal' clothes - thermal underlayer, tracksuit bottoms, t-shirt, hoodie, black bin-bag looking coat which is warm and then a cheap cycling jacket over the top. Plus a hat under my helmet and originally cycling gloves, but were too cold so thick warm gloves from Asda.
What are you doing wrong? ... nothing - from looking at the list above. It all looks like sensible stuff.

As others have said, you probably just encountered a bug with your name on it. Just take it easy, drink lots of fluids, rest. If possible get people around you to feel very sorry for you and make you hot drinks and generally run around for you.

Hope you feel better soon.

Top Bottom