Winter gloves advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having commuted last night in what I can only assume were Ms RT's gloves - they were far too small for me and took a good five minutes to put on - I need some new gloves. Anyone got any recommendations for good quality heavy duty waterproof gloves? I'm happy to pay up to £35 ... my experience of these things is that you put very little thought into what they cost when your hands anre nice and warm.:angry:

I bought a pair of Specailzed gloves (SubZero) which are modular.

prod_3413.jpg

Inner only on mild days, outer only on wet or cold days and for those with cold hands or the freezing days the two in combination.

Works for me and even in the combination are not too bulky for grip or STI controls.

jimboalee

You'll be hard pushed to find Thinsulate 100g in the UK, because UK winters are not cold enough.

Most Thinsulate gloves over here are 40g.

Amazon have a good range of Thinsulate 40g lining gloves for much less than a 'rip-off' bike shop.

I use Thinsulate 40g wooly ( £2.99 ) with a pair of Track mitts ( £6.99 ) over the top.

jay clock

Massive member
Not sure how it helps waterproofing-wise, but I use Decathlon silk liners in medium weight windproof gloves to help provide flexibility. I am also asking for merino liner gloves for Christmas

nigelb

Lidl are doing at offer round our way at the sec.

Ski gloves seem very warm, and multiple sizes.
Neck warmer is "one size fits all" - may fit my neck, but I can't get it over my head!

Pot luck as always with the discount shops, but the gloves certainly kept my fingers toastie on a cold evening recently.

Nige

AlanW

Guru
I have recently bought a pair of the Scott Neoprene gloves.

Ok I admit that they are more of a wet weather glove, but with a silk pair of inner gloves underneath they are incredibly warm and toasty.

Then when your hands warm up, remove the silk liners, jobs a good 'un

scottneopreneglove.jpg

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
jay clock said:
Not sure how it helps waterproofing-wise, but I use Decathlon silk liners in medium weight windproof gloves to help provide flexibility. I am also asking for merino liner gloves for Christmas

I bought a pair of the Decathlon inners a couple of weeks ago. Not felt the need to go to my winter gloves yet because of them.

Randochap

Senior hunter
There's descriptions and pictures of various approached to winter gloves on VeloWeb's Winter Cycling page, commuting subsection.

Options are neoprene (efficient but stinky) a liner with waterproof mitt or a waterproof insulated "lobster" glove.

bad boy

Über Member
Endura Deluge just bought them and literally got caught in a deluge on Monday, hands were warm and dry although the outer shell was sodden wet.

They are superb also have a double cuff to stop wind and rain getting down and gel zones.

I tried the spez ones on above and found them very bulky compared to these you could pick up a piece of paper with them on very good feeling.

AlanW

Guru
bad boy said:
Endura Deluge just bought them and literally got caught in a deluge on Monday, hands were warm and dry although the outer shell was sodden wet.

They are superb also have a double cuff to stop wind and rain getting down and gel zones.

I tried the spez ones on above and found them very bulky compared to these you could pick up a piece of paper with them on very good feeling.

I was offered a pair of these as a free upgrade when I returned my Strike gloves, but I turned the offer down.

But after reading this, perhaps I should have accepted! :evil:

Endura Strike - completely permeable - avoid. Now trialling SealSkinz All Weather which have been ok in showers but even with a light lining and no insulation are a bit too hot at the moment. Silk liners in any glove are a cheap and v effective uplift.

bad boy

Über Member
AlanW said:
I was offered a pair of these as a free upgrade when I returned my Strike gloves, but I turned the offer down.

But after reading this, perhaps I should have accepted! :evil:

I would have jumped at the chance !.

I think to be honest though gloves are to a certain degree a personal thing, as requirements and preference on feel etc might change per person.

I have found them good but some would probably say different, I personally dont like any of the sealskin stuff not only do they look naf but found them crap on the bike.

I'm also looking, but I'm after a ladies' size...
I discovered this week that mine (which I thought were waterproof, although that's not why I bought them!) aren't waterproof at all!
So my ideal glove is probably a waterproof leather glove - the synthetics seem to make me overheat (although still with cold fingertips, mind!). Anyone got any ideas?

Top Bottom