Winter Gloves..... Recommended?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
But that is why I use Aldi gloves as I can take multiple pairs with me so that I can reduce the number of times I have to put on wet gloves....

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But that is why I use Aldi gloves as I can take multiple pairs with me so that I can reduce the number of times I have to put on wet gloves....
I find carrying wet gloves annoying too :smile: I'm just really intolerant of bad kit so I'm surprised my Sealskinz sports mittens are so good and have yet to get wet through (apart from when I had them over the sleeve cuffs!) when so many others are grumbling about them not working. :laugh:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I use the Planet X hiviz gloves - got them for £7. Not waterproof but just thick enough and insulated enough that it doesnt usually matter on a 12 mile around trip. They lose a bit of insulation if you wash them though and you'd need to put them on a low spin at most.

I'm presuming the OP isnt using the woolley type of seakskinz? The inner membrane on those will breakdown in the wash and the outer material will just hold water after a while. OK in dry weather though. The ski-type variety is better, but my god do they stink after a bit!

zacklaws

Guru
I use gloves designed for motor cyclo cross in winter when it gets very cold, the pair I have is made by alpinestars, windproof,waterproof, very warm and tough enough if you come off on the ice and snow

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Another vote for the Aldi gloves here.
They are so warm, maybe a little too much but they do the job. They do however eventually let the water in if you get caught out

Tin Pot

Guru
Hi everyone.

Last year in the winter time i did suffer big time with the hands. I was using a so called waterproof Sealskin glove.

These gloves tbh were shocking. My hands suffered with being totally wet and cold, to the point where i had to get off the bike and carry it on my shoulder in order to gain warmth back in the hands.

Can anybody recommend the best glove they have used for winter cycling???????

http://mobile.snowandrock.com/salom...ki-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/65314

Ski gloves.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This topic goes round and round every year.

I have been riding bikes for over 50 years and motorbikes over 30 years. I have tried all sorts of gloves for Winter, from cheap to very expensive. Even with the very expensive ones you can get some leakage and then the cold sets in.

My commute to work is about 20 km and I often ride it in Winter. It takes about 1 hour 15 minutes. I dont think people are riding for much longer than that in Winter if they can help it. Unless it is a crisp, sunny dry morning.

I live in Denmark and ride my cycle until it gets to about -15, if the roads allow it. On my hands in Winter I wear a pair of silk gloves, a thick pair of insulated gloves and what keeps me warm and dry is a pair of camouflaged military overmitts from e Bay, they cost about £11. These 3 gloves combined will keep your hands dry, warm and draft free. Even when it is well past freezing you will be comfortable.

They take a little time to get used to riding in them but my hands are never cold. I have wasted lots of money on Winter gloves but I find that this is the answer.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
But the gloves available vary and it may be the first time someone has commuted in wintertime. I have a very old pair of Aldi gloves, they are no where near as good as the ones I have bought for the last 3 years, so advice changes.

Reactions: mjr

downfader

extimus uero philosophus

I have been riding bikes for over 50 years and motorbikes over 30 years. I have tried all sorts of gloves for Winter, from cheap to very expensive. Even with the very expensive ones you can get some leakage and then the cold sets in.

My commute to work is about 20 km and I often ride it in Winter. It takes about 1 hour 15 minutes. I dont think people are riding for much longer than that in Winter if they can help it. Unless it is a crisp, sunny dry morning.

I live in Denmark and ride my cycle until it gets to about -15, if the roads allow it. On my hands in Winter I wear a pair of silk gloves, a thick pair of insulated gloves and what keeps me warm and dry is a pair of camouflaged military overmitts from e Bay, they cost about £11. These 3 gloves combined will keep your hands dry, warm and draft free. Even when it is well past freezing you will be comfortable.

They take a little time to get used to riding in them but my hands are never cold. I have wasted lots of money on Winter gloves but I find that this is the answer.

Layering is my approach too if the temp is setting below 5 degrees.

I use some cotton catering gloves (very thin and small so bung an extra set on for going home to limit and dampness) under the thicker Endura reflective gloves I have. Staying warm is about trapping air inside and limiting wind on the fingers. Windprofing is a must. Your mitts are fulfilling these criteria

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Downfader, you are totally correct about the windproofing. The wind can bite right down to your bones. Even if your hands are damp, if the wind keeps off them they will stay warm.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

Really need to get myself some Hestra gloves - a colleague raves about their cycling-specific model:
Hestra Bike Tracker

They ought to be good, given that Hestra is a Swedish company that supplies gloves to pro-level ski racers - so you'd think they might know a thing or two about how to keep hands warm and dry while retaining enough dexterity to handle ski poles.

mythste

Veteran
Really need to get myself some Hestra gloves - a colleague raves about their cycling-specific model:
Hestra Bike Tracker

They ought to be good, given that Hestra is a Swedish company that supplies gloves to pro-level ski racers - so you'd think they might know a thing or two about how to keep hands warm and dry while retaining enough dexterity to handle ski poles.

Yeah... Ski Poles... :whistle:

:becool:

Top Bottom