Winter Gloves..... Recommended?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sanddancer

I have a pair of aldi and lidl winter gloves.
the crane aldi ones are thicker as they have a seperate fleece lining.
lidls have bike stuff in tomorrow with their winter gloves for £3.99.
Worth a look even for a spare pair or autumn/spring.
or as said get silk gloves as inners.
and get a pair from aldi near the end of the month .
its two pairs for less than a tenner :smile:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Not quite winter here (Just yet) but I have a pair of Endura Striker gloves which have an inside liner. The liner is rather on the light side though But im sure it would keep your fingers fairly warm'ish

Tom B

Guru
Aldi had some Lobster Claws last year for about 8quid..

They was even better than the normal gloves. Two fingers to keep each other cosy and less stitches to leak. The stitching there is is also less tightly formed and stretched so leaks less.

My sealskins were poo and sealskins didn't want to know!

My advice with gloves is to get some that are fitted and easy on/off. Don't get them fitting in any way tight as the stretch and give comes at the expense of the waterproof.

claudbutler

I have had a pair of OUTEREDGE for the past two winters.They were very warm the stiching is just started to come apart so will be looking for new ones soon.Thanks for all the advice.:okay:

Janine

Life saving topic ;)
I have ski gloves from SportsDirect (always one size bigger to be able to use some other layer but now I'm not sure if that's a good idea - circulation etc.). They are fine for me for a weather above 0 C (or +7 C and strong cold wind) and a journey no longer than 20 min.
Winter 2010 was so cold that I had to stop cycling to work and bought a car ha ha ha!
Now, in another town and different job it takes me 1h to get to work and I'm already thinking about winter.
My husband used to ride a motorbike and I will take his gloves and hope they're warmer. If not I will try advice from this forum, layers of materials sound very reasonably.

I've been looking for winter gloves for years. Got Sealskinz and Altura Night Vision. Neither stop water getting in, I might get some lobster mitts this year.

However a pair of ski glove liners (couple of quid from Sports Direct) mean that my hands can stay warm even when they get wet so at least I've solved the cold hands bit (well I haven't, 'Teef told me about the idea)

I'd certainly second the comment about glove liners...they can make a world of difference. See if you can find some silk ones, light, tough and amazingly warm under a pair of more conventional waterproof cycling gloves.

I use Endura strike gloves. They claim to be water proof but are not, they do however keep my hands warm (I suffer with cold hands and feet) These will be on their third winter this year and are still fine (although they do get a bit smelly after a week of commuting in the rain and need a wash) I have tried various other gloves and none have been as good as these. The only criticism I have is the cuff could be a little longer (I think the endura deluge is the same glove with a longer cuff) and can it be difficult to tuck my sleeve over the glove

Tojo

Über Member
Hi everyone.

Last year in the winter time i did suffer big time with the hands. I was using a so called waterproof Sealskin glove.

These gloves tbh were shocking. My hands suffered with being totally wet and cold, to the point where i had to get off the bike and carry it on my shoulder in order to gain warmth back in the hands.

Can anybody recommend the best glove they have used for winter cycling???????

The warmest water resistant ones money can buy.......:rofl:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Another one here for Aldi gloves. Plus they fit snugly inside some other gloves I have for when it is really cold.

MattDB

Über Member
Sealskinz mittens work well for me. Keep me dry and I wear gloves inside if I need more warmth, or put one of those click hand warmers in each one. £10 in a sale. Maybe yours are faulty?
Do you use STI shifters? I wore mitts and really struggled to change (and more importantly brake!)

Jumpingjalapeno

Regular
I'm in the process of upgrading all my cycling kit (got a mega post coming up). As part of this process I decided on a pair of specialized radiant winter gloves, which claim to be touch screen compatible and reflective, on both these aspects they are not particularly impressive. However, yesterday I got caught in a heavy downpour on my commute home with the temp hovering around 2C. My hands were warm throughout and there was no water ingress. They are not the perfect pair of gloves for a few reasons but in terms of being warm and waterproof, so far so good.

NCFC-Biker

Regular
My warmest 'general' gloves are montane prism, very warm. Not being able to tighten round the wrist and lack of grip isn't great though.

I also have a pair of Rab vapour-rise which I think would be good for cycling. Warm, grippy, pretty waterproof and a Velcro wrist strap.

Both can be had for around £25 a pair at the min.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Aldi have introduced a range of skiwear that is highly regarded. It includes some decent gloves for under £20. I'm not sure if they are available in the UK but they are worth seeking out. Sealskinz are effing useless. Don't believe the sales patter about them being used by Special Forces. They are shite, and expensive shite at that.

Top Bottom