Winter is coming...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hypermind

Hi all,

I've been commuting for nearly 6 months now, 5 days per week and so far I've only encountered the odd downpour. I have cycle shorts and a cycling jersey, both a long sleeve and short sleeve. I also have a fluorescent jacket but not sure it's that waterproof.

As winter is coming, how can I best prepare for it? I'm talking about absolutely freezing cycling weather, snow, rain, sleet etc. I have no choice but to cycle to work and back each day so I need to prepare without breaking the bank

If you could list your winter essentials I would be very grateful.

Many thanks
Chris

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Studded tyres for when it's icy and keep a look out for Aldi sales. Their winter tops aren't bad

KneesUp

Guru
It's all about the gloves for me. My commute is short enough that I can just ride harder if I'm cold to generate heat - but no matter how hard I ride, my hands get cold. I cannot stress enough the benefit of wind-proof gloves, possibly with 'lobster claw' style ones on top.

Planet X often do 'winter bundles' - worth a look.

si_c

Guru
Adding layers is the best way I've found for dealing with colder temperatures, and keeping your extremities warm, especially hands, is important.

Once it starts getting colder I'll transition to wearing full finger gloves, then later full winter gloves, and then if it still gets cold, I'll put my windproof full finger gloves on first, then my thicker winter gloves.

You don't need to go and get expensive winter gear if you are smart about how you use the stuff you already have and make some strategic additions. Depending on how far you commute, a good set of baselayers, winter waterproof/windproof gloves and a set of arm/leg warmers will make a big difference. Also shoe covers and some good socks. If you find you are still getting colder, then just add more layers where appropriate, if you wrap up too warm though you will be sweating loads, which will just chill and make you colder.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
How far is the journey and what facilities do you have at work?
The first winter I commuted through (2010/11) was very cold. In fact it was record breakingly cold and stayed below zero for weeks. I continued to cycle to work despite having a choice of cars, including a 4x4 (not much use when the roads are clogged with useless drivers in stranded cars!).

I just wrapped up in normal outdoor clothes with extra layers and sweated out the 10 mile trip in each direction. There are showers at work and racks over radiators so everything dries out during the 12 hr shift ready for the return.
Cold isn't too much of an issue because you can wear an extra layer if needed. Wet is OK if you are warm enough and can get dry on arrival. The worst thing is wet and cold as this can be miserable. I have a jacket and over trousers and add a pair of overshoes for total protection. This is OK but if you ride hard you WILL sweat and on a long trip will likely get as wet as without the waterproofs, but at least you will be warm. If the trip is less than 5 or 6 miles just ride slower to control the excess heat & sweat.
Personally I don't bother with different tyres for icy conditions because I have pretty good bike skills and still bounce well but this is one of those things that can and does bite unexpectedly. There have been a few cases at work of people that have fallen off their bikes on ice and suffered broken bones!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
IME cold hands and toes can ruin a bike ride, so I guess it depends on how you are personally. Overshoes are great at keeping the wind chill down.
You might also want to consider a buff for your face/head/neck.

Real winter may strike in January. You need a variety of clothing which depends on how you run hot or cold, and how high your work-rate is on the bike. The harder you ride, the fewer clothes you need.
A good layering system works from the inside out and the outside in. The middle bit is of less importance. Cycle features such as rear pockets are of no use in a layering system and may stack up uncomfortably. I avoid using cycling jerseys as inners, preferring generic wicking T shirts, long sleeves and zipp/high neck jersies.
Outer layer should usually be highly breathable, windproof but not waterproof, with the usual high viz/reflective bits. High necks are good. Waterproof shells are good for actual rain but in the cold can get clammy and colder. Paramo waterproofs are excellent in the cold, dry or wet. Softshells work well for commuting distances.
For insulation I use thin zip-neck fleece pullovers, thin woolen jumpers, sleeveless padded or fleece gillets, which work well on top of outer shells for cold starts or stops.
Footwear needs to be windproof and pref waterproof and big enough for thicker wool socks or sealskinz. Some people prefer over booties.
Cover your legs in the cold.
Gloves and neck warmer/buff/headover are small but effective. Some people use beanie hats under helmets, I use 2 neck tubes in balaclava mode.
Just add bits of clothing as required and carry something spare in case. Cold weather repairs need extra layers or insulation to keep you warm.
Studded tyres are rarely needed but when they are, you really need them. I made my own and they work perfectly well.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
For me (also budget conscious) all you need to cycle in the winter is

Fingerless gloves.
Light jacket.
Fleece jacket with softshell outer (as it's normally the wind that makes you feel cold).
Hat.
Gloves.

Anything else is non-essential, certainly tyres as if you hit a nasty patch of ice no tyre is going to save you so you are better off just being cautious. Once you are going in a straight line you are generally okay. I cycle about 2km of ungritted, shady cycle path at 6am and had no issues other than the occasional slip from the wheels.

Set off with layers so that you feel slightly cold and then five minutes in you will be a comfortable temperature and won't have extra to carry. A hot shower the other end works wonders too.

Remember than wet leaves can be as slippery as ice so don't get caught out.

Good luck and be prepared for your colleagues to think you are hard as nails because you cycle when it is slightly frosty.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Layer up. I find a lightweight water resistant/windproof over a winter jersey can be better than a dedicated boil in the bag jacket. Also mudguards are, if at all possible a must for winter riding, having a wet behind and shoes is not pleasant.

Top Bottom