Winter is coming...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
No it's not, winter is at least 3 months away ;)
I had to keep putting off my summer holiday one year due to pressure at work. I eventually got the end of October off and headed up to the Yorkshire Dales for a week with my girlfriend and stepdaughter. We got settled down in our caravan and woke the next morning to find a foot-long icicle had formed from a dripping tap inside, and a blizzard raging outside. That was less than 2 months from today's date! :whistle:

Last year, it was freezing here from the start of November and we had snow and ice on 7th November, 10 weeks from today.

Hopefully, winter is at least 3 months away but I wouldn't bet on it! :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
I had to keep putting off my summer holiday one year due to pressure at work. I eventually got the end of October off and headed up to the Yorkshire Dales for a week with my girlfriend and stepdaughter. We got settled down in our caravan and woke the next morning to find a foot-long icicle had formed from a dripping tap inside, and a blizzard raging outside. That was less than 2 months from today's date! :whistle:

Last year, it was freezing here from the start of November and we had snow and ice on 7th November, 10 weeks from today.

Hopefully, winter is at least 3 months away but I wouldn't bet on it! :okay:
Ah yes, but I'm in London. Maybe the OP is sensible enough to live in a temperate rather than sub arctic climate ;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ah yes, but I'm in London. Maybe the OP is sensible enough to live in a temperate rather than sub arctic climate ;)
My ex originates from London. She commented to me once that London is nearly always about 5 degrees C warmer than here and I said that she was talking nonsense. I've lost count of how many scores of times we watched TV weather reports after that and saw that London had been 5, 6, 7 ... degrees warmer than West Yorkshire! :whistle:

I just checked the forecast for today ... It was supposed to be 15 degrees here but is actually about 19 at the moment. According to the Beeb it is about 24 degrees in London now.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I also have a fluorescent jacket but not sure it's that waterproof.
Go stand in the shower with it on and you'll find out. Personally, I go for primary colours or black and I think fluorescent should die a firey death as one of the most misleading products ever, combining ugliness with making it more likely that motorists don't regard you as a real person they should avoid squishing... but each to their own.

As winter is coming, how can I best prepare for it? I'm talking about absolutely freezing cycling weather, snow, rain, sleet etc. I have no choice but to cycle to work and back each day so I need to prepare without breaking the bank

If you could list your winter essentials I would be very grateful.
Studded tyres for ice. If you're quick, you may get some before prices rise as they do almost every winter.

In the deepest winter, my warmest gear is knee-length merino socks under Rohan thermal trousers, military-pattern boots, a coolmax base layer under a merino top and an arctic fleece jacket designed for people who work in food freezers, with a part-thinsulate buff folded into a beanie on top and cycling mitts inside sealskinz mittens on my hands. Even then, I still carry some reusable hiking handwarmers that I can activate and slip inside the mittens if my hands get too cold. Thick cork or rubber grips on the handlebars and don't touch the metal bits directly!

For rain, I've rainlegs or waterproof trousers if it's really torrential but they are very annoying to cycle in, even with clips and snapwraps keeping them from brushing the bike too often.

Just to clarify, when we talk about studded tyres we don't mean MTB knobbly tyres, we are talking about snow and ice tyres with metal or ceramic studs. A knobbly tread will suffice for most snow but on slick, icy surfaces, the studs dig in and you get traction on the slipperyest surfaces.
Ceramic studs are more durable than metal but that is not an issue for the annual 2-week freeze-up we have these days. Some studded tyres are more for ice than snow and have small tread pattern..

Reactions: mjr
For rain, I've rainlegs or waterproof trousers if it's really torrential but they are very annoying to cycle in, even with clips and snapwraps keeping them from brushing the bike too often.

My old Montane DT rainpants had slim legs and double velcro calf ties so no flapping around. A really nice cut for everyday cycling in the rain and useful below freezing just for warmth.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
My thoughts:

Keeping warm is the main thing, plenty of layers is the way to go.
If you wear a helmet a skull cap underneath it does wonders for keeping you warm. If you don't wear a helmet a nice wooly hat that covers your ears.
You will be slower in the winter so give yourself extra time
Chances are you will be riding in the dark at some point, so decent lights.
If riding on ice then studded tyres, though if you stick to main routes chances are you could get by without them.

rivers

How far can I go?
As most others have said, layering is key.
I have medium weight wool socks for winter and a pair of sealskin overshoes for my feet.
Fleece-lined bib tights, and if it's really cold, I add my baselayer for diving.
And on the top, a combination of a wicking layer, diving baselayer top, merino wool top, long sleeve fleece-lined cycling jersey, and waterproof jacket, depending on temperature. My hands/fingers get the coldest, so I tend to wear fleece gloves in addition to cycling specific winter gloves.
And to top it all off, a balaclava on my head/face.
As long as it's above 0, I will cycle to work. At 0 or below, either my wife drops me off or I take the bus in. But I stay warmer cycling to work than I do on the motorbike in winter.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Pretty much what everyone has said above.

Extremities are the key - decent skull cap, gloves for the weather - medium weight full fingered and a waterproof pair of Nightvisions (cheap glove liners can be found online and are great for adding an extra layer without too much bulk when needed). I was a bit dubious about the benefits of overshoes until I tried them and they're now essential winter kit.

Keeping your hands, feet and head warm are key to being comfortable, as if they get cold in a ride you'll struggle to get any heat back into them.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I have never seen anyone in London with ice tyres.
It just isnt ever cold enough to warrant them.
Where does the OP live? That is going to be the biggest issue.

boydj

Legendary Member
Mudguards - essential in wet weather, otherwise your feet get a stream of cold water.
Overshoes, good quality gloves, a skullcap that covers your ears and a decent waterproof jacket should see you through the winter. More layers if it's colder. A buff is a very useful article for keeing out draughts.

Living in Scotland, I've never seen the need for studded tires - if the roads are bad enough to need them, then the danger from cars makes the road too dangerous for cycling. In eight years I missed only 3 or 4 days due to snow and ice - though to be fair I'm less than 100 yards from a bus route.

Top Bottom