Winter is coming...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Out of interest, can anyone recommend a decent set of studded winter tyres for a 700x23c tyre?
I can't. The narrowest I've seen is 700x30 aka 30-622 which is a Schwalbe Marathon Winter.

Here's a list of all the recently-sold studded tyres and ISO sizes I found in a few minutes searching (57+65 means it comes in both 57 and 65mm widths):
  • Schwalbe Snow Stud (maybe obsolete) 50-559 40-622
  • Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro 54-559 57+65-584 57-622
  • Schwalbe Winter 30-349 42-355 47-559 30+35+42-622 40-635
  • Schwalbe Marathon Winter 42-406 47-507 47+50-559 35+42+50-622
  • Nokian Extreme 294 54-559 54-622
  • Nokian Hakka W240 47-559 40-622
  • Nokian Hakka W106 (maybe obsolete) 37+47-622
  • Nokian Hakkapelita A10 32-622

There's probably something for most bikes there, even if there's not one for my old 650A ;)

Tin Pot

Guru
Thank you all for your suggestions and comments!

Out of interest, can anyone recommend a decent set of studded winter tyres for a 700x23c tyre?

Thanks!

Studs on 23s? Are you on road or off-road?

runner

Guru
It's all about the gloves for me. My commute is short enough that I can just ride harder if I'm cold to generate heat - but no matter how hard I ride, my hands get cold. I cannot stress enough the benefit of wind-proof gloves, possibly with 'lobster claw' style ones on top.

Planet X often do 'winter bundles' - worth a look.
I also suffer from extreme cold in my hands. Tried many gloves even heated (cheap ones from Maplin ) also some heated pads within gloves from poundland which help but no real solution. It would seem that unless I am prepared to shell out £150 to Rapha or something like this
http://www.warmthru.com/acatalog/Heated-Cycling-Gloves.html

then I am doomed to cold hands in icy weather..which requires me to stop and rub together my hands many times on my commute

classic33

Leg End Member
I had to keep putting off my summer holiday one year due to pressure at work. I eventually got the end of October off and headed up to the Yorkshire Dales for a week with my girlfriend and stepdaughter. We got settled down in our caravan and woke the next morning to find a foot-long icicle had formed from a dripping tap inside, and a blizzard raging outside. That was less than 2 months from today's date! :whistle:

Last year, it was freezing here from the start of November and we had snow and ice on 7th November, 10 weeks from today.

Hopefully, winter is at least 3 months away but I wouldn't bet on it! :okay:
We had snow in June in '75, a heatwave the following year('76).

'94 there were parts up on the tops under snow in March & early April.

classic33

Leg End Member
It is 8 degrees outside and the temperature is falling - winter IS coming! :laugh:
Still in double figures here.

I've rode/commuted through three winters now. I'm fortunate my commute is a bus route also therefore gritted quite well.

Keeping extremities warm has been my continuous battle. I have spent too much money trying to resolve this issue but I am now resolved to the fact my hands and especially my feet will suffer. I may take a last punt on these though not sure if I will be able to brake or change gear.

As mentioned above, a highly breathable rain repellent jacket pays for itself in comfort in no time such as Gore. Plus good base layers, I love my Craft.

Last winter was the easiest so far.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
We have the windows open in Denmark this morning. There is certainly an Autumnal feeling in the air. But it is sunny and we can get some really nice riding days in September and October.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is 8 degrees outside and the temperature is falling - winter IS coming! :laugh:
I just checked the minimum on my thermometer - it got down to 6.2 degrees in the middle of the night.

Getting a bit more On Topic ... I don't tend to ride in wintry conditions these days having once had 3 crashes on one icy New Year's Day ride. I would definitely use studded tyres if I were going to be riding in icy conditions again.

As for clothing - wear multiple layers so things can be taken off if you start to get too warm or added if you get cold - for example, when stood shivering at the roadside attending to mechanical problems.

I agree that cold hands and feet need to be avoided. Now that I have a big bald spot on top of my head, that feels the cold too. I have a Gore skullcap which is great for cold/wet/windy conditions; I found it on a mountain bike ride and it is a perfect fit for me!

Top Bottom