Winter is coming...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
I've commuted in all weathers for 20+ years now.

Middle of winter you need a cheap none breathable water/ windproof anorak and possibly leggings.

Under that I wear a fleece top and my work trousers.

Motorcycle Thinsulate gloves, fleece hat under my helmet and work steel toe cap boots do the business.

Can't beat sub zero commutes, appart from the ice..

Not long now....:boxing:

maxresdefault.jpg

megs85

I wear an Aldi waterproof jacket with a thin fleece underneath, along with their winter cycling trousers and winter gloves. I've never had an issue and am always comfortable. I did buy their overshoes but they fell apart quite quickly so I got some decent neoprene ones off wiggle. Done 2 winters now in the same gear and its still going strong.

I think the Aldi brand is called Crane, its good stuff for the price and even better when they go into special buys! I have heard some cycling snobs refer to it as Can't Really Afford Nice Equipment but they're the type of people I refer to as; All the gear, no idea...

megs85

tackle-tarts

Haha I love it

Love winter riding. Tried out my thermal bibs, waterproof jacket and neoprene gloves today.
I was bloody hot but happy the diet has led to it all fitting better.

If the knees play ball I'm looking forward to the solitude of Winscar Res in the snow again.

I can still recall the exquisite pain in my hands from a gloveless winter commute (10 miles) some 35 years ago. Did half a mile then realised I'd forgotten gloves. Can't be bothered going back so carried on, then got cold, then the pain. After about 5 miles got used to it. However when I got to work and started warming up again the pain was unbelievable and took what seemed an age to subside. Still brings tears to my eyes thinking about it. Never forgot my gloves since
I used to be able to go without them. but not now
Conversely, if I wore them at a CX race, I'd end up taking them off after a couple of laps, & throwing them at someone I knew, to collect post-race

Winter sorts the men from the boys!!!
The drop off of commuters is quite astonishing
Always cycle in a straight line over ice

I learned the hard way!
Indeed it does, a lot disappear & use the bus, at my place of employment
I've ridden '365' for a long time (& run for the past 8 years too - if it gets that bad, I'll run in fell-race shoes)
I remember once, when I worked in the centre of Leeds, when it started snowing about 16:00
Staff, who lived in Bradford, etc... were told they could go home (as our vans weren't getting in either), Raghu, one of the engineers got as far as Elland Road, then eventually got back about 21:00 (5 hours, for 4 miles)
I rode home, on closed, snow-bound roads, at 23:00, slaloming round abandoned vehicles
I couldn't ride up the last hill home (not steep either!), & took about 10 minutes over normal

Now I've got the CGR, I may experiment with lower tyre pressures (as it's on '28' section), or try the tyres off my CX bike, to see if they'll fit under the mudguards

Ice?
Best way!, but I'll add try not to pedal over it either
Black ice is a different matter, I once found it twice in less than 500yards, on Ferry Lane (between Altofts & Stanley, by the Canal)
The second fall, I really thought I'd broken my wrist, as I did see the proverbial stars

.If the knees play ball I'm looking forward to the solitude of Winscar Res in the snow again.
And doubtless, slithering down the hill, towards Dunford Bridge, from Carlecotes, or Harden??

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think the distance you have to commute can influence what you need to wear. If you have a short ride, you can wear almost anything.

I have a 40km round trip commute. In winter my base layer is Planet X Pro 365x Long Sleeve Base. They are warm and cheap. I find they work as well as any of my merino base layers and dry quicker. I wear 60 denier ladies tights under my winter bibs. It an old bricklayers trick. Light, cheap, warm and comfortable. I then have a short sleeve fleece lined cycle jersey and arm warmers. I wear a thin pair of merino socks and a thicker pair on top. I then have a Buff round my neck and one over my ears.

For the outer layers I have a Gore cycle jacket and a motorcycle viz vest. I always wear overboots over my cycle shoes to keep the water and wind off. Over my gloves I wear military waterproof overmitts to keep the wind off. My helmet has a cover.

Keeping the wind off your body is the key to keeping warm.

Top Bottom