Winter is coming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chambers625

Winter is coming... And I just recently started cycling. I don't mind riding in the cold but I know I won't be able to once the snow hits. That leaves me with my gym, which sounds horrible for cycling, or this amazing new Zwift and Bkool world I just discovered exists. I'm afraid that if I stick with the gym I won't have the motivation to make it very far and the small progress I've made will be lost. So that leaves me with the virtual smart trainers which are very expensive. My question is, what's the cheapest option for smart trainers that work with Zwift and that aren't garbage. I definitely want a "smart" one so I can feel like I'm going up and down hills ect. I'm thinking this might end up being a Christmas present to myself so I'm just trying to get some ideas for now.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would suggest the Tacx Vortex Smart. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tacx-vortex-smart-trainer/ However, if you want the downhill sensation be prepared to pay a lot more.

alicat

Legendary Member
What snow? Can't remember the last time we had any to speak of. Fit studded tyres if you fear black ice and carry on as normal.

CXRAndy

Guru
I became an indoor training fan after injury forced me to use one for several months. I stop riding outdoors on the road in October and won't go back out till March. I'll ride upto 5 times a week. Take in the odd outdoor MTB ride when weather is good.

Get the best 'Smart' turbo trainer. Ideally a direct drive one with built in power meter. Buy right buy the once.

I use a Wahoo Kickr, had for 3 years. Great piece of kit but not cheap

BurningLegs

Veteran
I was in a very similar situation last autumn and bought the Tacx Flow Smart. It is a budget smart trainer that is exclusive to Halfords and Decathlon but it is only about £200:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/tacx-flow-t2240-smart-turbo-trainer

Amazing bit of kit for the money. The only thing that I don’t like about it is the cadence sensor - it doesn’t technically have one but it uses software to infer your cadence from the power profile you are creating (I.e it has a damn good guess at when you are pushing each foot based on a peak of power on each pedal stroke). There is a bit of lag on this, and I would say the cadence is accurate over a 3 or 5 second period but does not change instantly. This means that if you are trying to hit a certain cadence in a training plan then you have to be mindful of this lag when you transition between target cadences.

You may be able to find one of these on eBay or Gumtree for £100 - £150 if you’re lucky, and it will give you power output in Zwift and simulate climbs. It won’t simulate descents, but you can sit with your legs and wheel stationary (creating no power) and continue to coast on Zwift no trouble. Or stop cheating and pedal down the hills!!

In most of the UK winters are ridable on most days. Only freezing rain and heavy storms keep me off the bike. For ice and snow, treaded tyres with metal or ceramic studs will stop you slipping. Another option for fitness riders is to get an MTB for off-road riding.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Winter is coming... And I just recently started cycling. I don't mind riding in the cold but I know I won't be able to once the snow hits. That leaves me with my gym, which sounds horrible for cycling, or this amazing new Zwift and Bkool world I just discovered exists. I'm afraid that if I stick with the gym I won't have the motivation to make it very far and the small progress I've made will be lost. So that leaves me with the virtual smart trainers which are very expensive. My question is, what's the cheapest option for smart trainers that work with Zwift and that aren't garbage. I definitely want a "smart" one so I can feel like I'm going up and down hills ect. I'm thinking this might end up being a Christmas present to myself so I'm just trying to get some ideas for now.
Come and race on BKool and/or Zwift - you'll get very fit and hooked in no time at all :okay:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
In most of the UK winters are ridable on most days. Only freezing rain and heavy storms keep me off the bike. For ice and snow, treaded tyres with metal or ceramic studs will stop you slipping. Another option for fitness riders is to get an MTB for off-road riding.

Then maybe this isn't the section of this forum for you...

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Get an MTB - some studded tyres and PURPOSELY go out looking for ice. Stick your vicks up to winter

379320_472774946115043_1947166640_n.jpg

and if you don't find any - wallow in the mud

18517961_1476437132415481_4069028318953004269_o.jpg

bridgy

Legendary Member

Get an MTB - some studded tyres and PURPOSELY go out looking for ice. Stick your vicks up to winter

View attachment 377068

and if you don't find any - wallow in the mud

View attachment 377069

It doesn't have to be an either/or choice.

I ride my road bike, mountain bike, AND ride/race online on a virtual trainer all year round. I enjoy all of them for different reasons and all provide a very different type of workout too.

The smart trainer is excellent for:

- Really bad weather days
- Convenience if you're short for time, or don't want to leave the house for some reason (in my case that reason is often - kids!)
- Dark evenings if you want to ride after work but not always outside in the pitch black
- A really hard (or specifically structured) workout where no other road or trail distractions can prevent you from putting in 100% effort
- The fun/challenge of online racing - and I've also made new friends through this who are now real-life riding buddies too (not compulsory!!)

The improved fitness I've gained from using the trainer several times a week has increased my enjoyment of road and mountain biking too. I'd highly recommend getting one.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
No snow in my part of SE England for 4 years. Black ice is a bigger threat imho.
I've had settled snow for a couple of days each year where I am just outside South London. But as you say ice is the biggest danger. Especially as the muppets round here think black is tarmac no matter what the temp and drive like it the middle of summer.

uclown2002

Guru
Vortex Smart is a good option if your budget allows. It has a reputation for over-reading power although many smart trainers, even when properly calibrated are inaccurate.

CXRAndy

Guru
Vortex Smart is a good option if your budget allows. It has a reputation for over-reading power although many smart trainers, even when properly calibrated are inaccurate.

That's why its important to buy an expensive second PM to compare and do run down test between each race.:laugh:

Can never have enough devices:wacko:

Top Bottom