Winter proofing DIY

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Electric motors like the cold. The vast majority of them have some sort of cooling arrangement, usually a shaft mounted cooling fan.
The batteries dont. Starting with a warm up battery and protecting it from chilling air in winter will give a much greater range.

I always keep my battery indoors. In spite of this I noticed a marked drop in range last winter - especially in colder weather.

It is also especially bad to charge a battery in cold weather - so always best to do it inddors if possible.

Drago

Legendary Member
Further to the last task with the prospect of further, heavy rain forecasts I realised I don`t have a waterproof cover for the trip display. I`m sure they will be waterproof, to a point, but if so why would they try to sell covers for them? Expensive ones too! Silicon covers are around £10 so again not hugely expensive but I do hate to buy things when I can utilise some old rubbish to do the job....
This is what I came up with:
View attachment 611046

View attachment 611047

A plastic water bottle, cut along one side and a length of double sided velcro glued to the neck. It covers the display and allows me to change the assist level easily ^_^
Incut the side outnif a freezer bag and carefully wrapped and taped it around the display. Doesn't look too bad/obvious.

You have a ebike bought in UK which can’t be used in the rain?:hyper:
Sadly a susrprising numner of models from all manufacturers have components that don't like the British weather.

OP
OP
carpiste

carpiste

Guru
You have a ebike bought in UK which can’t be used in the rain?:hyper:
It can be used in rain but, as you point out, this is the UK so it can get more than a little wet so, my idea is just to add a little bit more protection. Raleigh do say it can be used in the rain but I`ve seen what our weather can do to a bike. Rust is unforgiving and will attack regardless of how good your paintwork is, how often you clean, grease and oil your machine. Electronics are likewise easily destroyed if not looked after. I`m just trying to look after mine and, hopefully, adding some extra time to its lifespan.

richtea

A plastic water bottle, cut along one side and a length of double sided velcro glued to the neck. It covers the display and allows me to change the assist level easily ^_^
Sweet! Another bottle or two and you've got see-through handlebar protectors to keep the chill off the hands. Might need quite big bottles to avoid catching the levers though.

OP
OP
carpiste

carpiste

Guru
Sweet! Another bottle or two and you've got see-through handlebar protectors to keep the chill off the hands. Might need quite big bottles to avoid catching the levers though.
How about a couple of these ^_^

CXRAndy

Guru
Last winter I found the best way of drying the bike before putting it away was with the leaf blower - worked pretty well

For some reason my wife's Dyson Hair dryer wasn't on the list of potential solutions to the problem!

Air flow, not heat is by far the best way to dry something. Combine the two and now you're cooking, air blown ovens :okay:

Top Bottom