30 Mile commute - How fast on an electric bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
My current commute is around 30 miles and averages 50 mins by car.

I could cycle it but am time-constrained and need to keep the commute to around an hour; but could push it to 1hr 15mins if doable.

Would an electric bike be fast enough to do 30 miles in an hour and fifteen or would it be quite a lot slower?

Also, do the seasons affect speed or battery capability, as in slower in winter?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I believe the electric assist on a legal EB is limited to 15 mph, so anything faster than that is under your own steam.

Before anyone can answer this you need to specify the country as regulations and laws are different in different places

In the UK and the EU the ebike motor must cut out at 15.5 mph so your required average speed is basically to be done with no motor assist.
As the ebike is heavier due to the motor and battery - you would be better off with a normal bike IF you are capable of this sort of speed

And even then it depends on the roads - you would need good quality roads to do that speed as an average

Basically I would get a moped - or get up earlier!!!

Drago

Legendary Member
Unless you're disabled or incredibly unfit, it'll take a little longer than on a regular bike.

Unless you're incredibly fit 30 miles in an hour and 15 is not viable.

on an ebike the assistive power cuts out at 15.5MPH on legal machines, so even if you pedal just under that threshold you're in for a 2 hour ride.

And yes, battery capacity suffers in winter. Not radically so, but enough to notice.

CXRAndy

Guru
My current commute is around 30 miles and averages 50 mins by car.

I could cycle it but am time-constrained and need to keep the commute to around an hour; but could push it to 1hr 15mins if doable.

Would an electric bike be fast enough to do 30 miles in an hour and fifteen or would it be quite a lot slower?

Also, do the seasons affect speed or battery capability, as in slower in winter?

You could get a speed pedelec. They will do 28mph top speed. You could cruise at 22-25mph

There are a few companies selling these bikes in the UK and some will also guide you through registering your pedelec.
https://urbanebikes.com/collections/speed-pedelec/s-pedelec

Travelling at those speeds will require a battery recharge before return leg, or spare battery to swap

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I'm quite slow, but my 16 mile each way would take me around an hour or just over.

Your ebike would make it easier but at the normal 15 mph, you would be looking at nearly doubling your target time, and if you were planning on powering an ebike over that limit, you would be as well with a normal bike.

Good luck though.

Dadam

Unless you're disabled or incredibly unfit, it'll take a little longer than on a regular bike.

Don’t agree with this unless it’s flat as a pancake the whole way. I’m neither of those things and my commute is only 4.5 miles each way in urban traffic. One way half downhill then half mainly flat, with the ebike I’m 30s-1m faster. My guess is the main reason is being faster accelerating from traffic lights. Tother way up the hill I’m 5-6m faster.

The assist up the hills and up to 15.5mph means you’ve more puff for the rest of the ride.

Drago

Legendary Member
You may not agree, and for you it may not be the case.

However the general rule is that a typical rider on any halfway decent normal bike will easily maintain a higher average. In my case at 19.5 stones with a knackered hip can average 16+ on my best roadie, 13 at the best on my ebikes.

I can also climb quicker, although doing it slower and letting the motor do some of the work does indeed take less effort, but last time I checked going slower was, er, slower than going quicker.

As with any rule there will be exceptions, but their existence does not alter the reality of the average or the typical.

Jameshow

Veteran
I do 30miles in an hour no probs.

I have to take the front wheel off to do so though!

Brandane

Legendary Member
As others have said, it depends very much on the terrain. On the odd occasions that I cycle commute, it is 32 miles (16 each way) but involves 760 metres of climbing. On my e-bike, it takes roughly 1 hour 10 mins each way. On my lightest road bike about 1 hour 20 mins.
A UK legal e-bike is only really of any help on climbs (assuming a reasonable fitness level). On the level, the assist will cut out at 16mph and the weight will become a handicap. Downhill, the weight might add a wee bit of speed over a light road bike, but not a lot.
So the answer is: it all depends. But no way will a UK legal ebike cover a 30 mile commute in an hour. Not even close.

gbb

Legendary Member
As others have said, it depends very much on the terrain. On the odd occasions that I cycle commute, it is 32 miles (16 each way) but involves 760 metres of climbing. On my e-bike, it takes roughly 1 hour 10 mins each way. On my lightest road bike about 1 hour 20 mins.
A UK legal e-bike is only really of any help on climbs (assuming a reasonable fitness level). On the level, the assist will cut out at 16mph and the weight will become a handicap. Downhill, the weight might add a wee bit of speed over a light road bike, but not a lot.
So the answer is: it all depends. But no way will a UK legal ebike cover a 30 mile commute in an hour. Not even close.

As a former ebike commuter of 15 miles each way, about the hour was what it would take me each way on an ebikr, about the same on my roadbike. Double that, as you say, no way on a UK legal ebike.

NickWi

Guru
30miles in 1hr 15 min = 24mph average. At the 1hr you'd prefer that's an average of 30mph. AND, don't forget that's average speed, not the speed you'll need ride at to compensate for traffic lights, roundabouts and other slow downs. An e-bike or even electric moped won't do it. If you have a motorcycle licence may I suggest you take your pick of one of these:- https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/best-electric-motorbikes

If you don't, the Tour of Britain starts in September and given the average speed you'll need to complete your commute at and your time constraints, with a bit a bit of training you're guranteed a top 10 place.

gbb

Legendary Member
Even with a tweaked motor, you'd need to think about range and battery recharging. I'd suspect you'd need to charge every trip to be safe, and by each trip, I mean each way. So carrying your charger would be necessary ( not definitely but very probably )

Top Bottom