Winter sleeping bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
A simple upgrade would be to buy a silk or fleece liner. This will boost the efficiency of your current bag. Also consider wearing a long sleeve base layer top plus leggings & socks. Makes a lot of difference at a more modest financial outlay.
also, as has been pointed out, the rating of a sleeping bag is very relative. I'm lucky as I sleep 'hot', so I don't need a great deal of insulation at night. Other are not so fortunate, so it's a bit of a 'suck-it-and-see' situation.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Another vote for Alpkit. Their stuff is very good value, but your budget is optimistic. Extra clothing might be the answer. Say merino thermals which could be used at other times.
I made a bivy bag from Tyvek homewrap which adds a fair few degrees of comfort and waterproofing. The overall system has to work together. Mat, wrap, bag, clothes

OP
OP
D

Dirtyhanz2

Hi all
Thank you all for the advice much appreciated
I have had a look at the alpkit sleeping bags and I think they seem the best value for money
Would like a down one bit concerned if it gets wet could be a problem
Going to up the budget a bit more
Current bag is ment to be comfortable to 0 I have tried liners but not really given much extra I use an Expeed blow up mat which as a layer of down in it
I use a vaude 2 person tent I would like to have a go at bivy bags at some point in the future as well
Will have a look see if there are any bargains to be had in January

Thank you for showing this did not know they are based in the uk will definitely have a look at there range
yep they are - in an old mill by the canal just outside keighley.
some of their stuff made in the UK (my bag is), some made abroad/bought in - they are pretty honest about which is which. They genuinely sell a lot to the armed forces I think - not pretend army kit.
I have a few bits of their stuff, including an insulated hat that I will very definitely only be wearing when alone in remote countryside well away from any cameras.

I still have my Brett Harris Snugpak that i bought in 1989, so over 30yrs old. It's made from parachute silk and is down filled and is still an amazingly warm bag to this day. Used it down to -5º or so on many occasions and have spent several hundred nights in it, happy now to see the children taking it on ski trips and camping exploits.

Well made products that stand the test of time although my bag isn't the smallest or lightest and as someone said i think that's the trade off to keep warm.

PS: down filled bags are a bugger if they get wet.....

Just checked my snugpak.
It's a softie 9 Hawk.
https://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/softie-9

As i said got for something near half price as a functional second.
Haven't used it in winter yet but am quietly confident that I can - I have a decathlon silk liner, a lifeventure thermal liner and a bivvy bag if needed inside a tent. Also Aldi synthetic longjohns/top combo and an army wooly hat.
Thanks for the OP - encourages me to finally go out on a winter camp/ bivi mini adventure. I already have some spots just outside london in mind.
I find the snugpak compact enough and very easy to pack in its sensibly sized tough bag with compression straps.

Ps, note the alert on current direct availability supply issues on brit made stuff ,- maybe everyone is heading for the hills. Lots of other suppliers though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom