Winter sleeping bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirtyhanz2

Hi could someone recommend me a good quality winter sleeping bag one that would go down to -10 I have a cheap vango at the moment it says comfortable to 0 but it realy isn't so looking to up grade main use will be winter camping and bothy
I use to be a warm sleeper but seem to now feel the cold a lot more budget would be about £150
Thanks for any recommendations

I have an Ajungilak Kompact for normal 3 season use. I originally picked the Kompact Winter which is much warmer but quite bulky and heavy. The difference in size and weight between synthetic and down really starts to be significant for winter bags.

Tricky!
The way I see it, you have two options - a new bag or (and I hate the word!) a sleep "system".

As @MichaelW2 says, for those temps there is a weight/volume penalty for synthetic. I'm not sure of the UK market, but I can't see too many decent down bags for your budget?

As for a "system" what do you sleep on? An emergency blanket (silver or gold) can be a way of boosting the mat insulation for a few quid.
A second bag for inside or outside your existing bag would add a season or two as would a "thermal" liner. Or a bivi bag. Of course, that adds weight and volume.
There's also the clothing you wear to consider.

I experimented with a synthetic Vango of similar specs to yours. I tried it out with a merino wool liner inside and a goretex bivi outside down to -8. I survived!^_^

I found the merino too fragile to use longterm as a liner. Any thermal liner I saw seemed very flimsy too. If I was to try that again, I'd opt for a cheap down bag inside the Vango.

One thing to bear in mind if buying a new bag is that prices vary depending on the time of year. Always a good idea to have an idea of what you might like and track the prices. You can save yourself a bit.

classic33

Leg End Member
Two things.
One, the minus 10° is a subjective comfort rating. What season rating, if any, is given for the current bag.

Two, if you do go down the second sleeping bag route, make sure the zip is on the opposite side to the one on your main bag. Potential cold spots covered on either side this way.

Added in edit
How often would you expect -12°C?
IMG_20171122_215718.jpg

Last edited:
Two things.
One, the minus 10° is a subjective comfort rating. What season rating, if any, is given for the current bag.

Two, if you do go down the second sleeping bag route, make sure the zip is on the opposite side to the one on your main bag. Potential cold spots covered on either side this way.

Added in edit
How often would you expect -12°C?
View attachment 563338
I think the -12 on that bag means you will wake up in the morning. Probably.
Not that you will have had a good night's sleep ready to face another day.

Hi could someone recommend me a good quality winter sleeping bag one that would go down to -10 I have a cheap vango at the moment it says comfortable to 0 but it realy isn't so looking to up grade main use will be winter camping and bothy
I use to be a warm sleeper but seem to now feel the cold a lot more budget would be about £150
Thanks for any recommendations
Can I ask where you are?

Top Bottom