Winter socks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I just wear those thick fluffy socks people wear to bed or around the house...

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
As above you don’t want too thick a sock or you’ll cut the circulation off. Personally I wear winter cycling boots one size up and thicker socks. Sometime wear my walking socks. But key is shoes not too tight. If you cycle commute through winter then winter boots are good value and will far outlast overshoes. My current winter boots are well over 10 years old now.

Last edited:
Lidl often do black synthetic fluffy feetwarmer socks.
Excellent and as they aren't that bulky you can wear them in your normal shoes.
Yes in addition (if heading into the country for me generally - London winters pretty mild) i will put overshoes on.
If it's colder an extra pair of socks under the Lidls as well - I use those otherwise pretty useless superthin cycling socks you can get. So that I can get the shoes on ok. It's about layering as always.

The Lidl socks are also good if they should get wet.

kenmiles

Overshoes would be my preferred option as I've always felt wrapping you feet to much can actually leave them colder as I seem to move them less. Winter boots is the actual way to go but overshoes is definitely the next choice. :okay:
Definitely agree with winter boots. Mine are Lake Winter Boots - CX-145X and they are great.

Domus

Guru
Mine are Shimano winter boots, almost time to put them on, in Autumn and early Spring I wear shoes with neoprene toe covers they work Ok to about 3 to 5 degrees C for me on a 3 - 4 hour ride.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
There as hierarchy of tools when it comes to dealing with cold feet. Thick socks, overshoes and full on winter boots. You can combine all three but I find the first two (combined) adequate for sub zero temps.

Edit: keep your core warm and the hands, head and feet will suffer less.

Domus

Guru
I have most trouble with the tips of my thumbs, I keep experimenting with liners and different shells, I must have a dozen or so outers but still get painfully cold thumbs. :cold:

PapaZita

Guru
I’ve got a few pairs of DeFeet wool socks and really rate them. The Wooleator is thin, so fits inside summer shoes, and is very versatile for year round use. Very few socks will keep you warm in ventilated summer shoes that are designed for air flow, so I add neoprene toe covers or knitted over socks as required. I rarely use overshoes, because by the time I need those I’m more likely to be wearing winter boots. Those are a size larger than usual and I fill the space with DeFeet Woolie Boolie socks. The DeFeet socks are available in different cuff heights and I always go for the longest available, as any sort of gap around the ankles is no good. Silk liner socks are super thin and can add an extra layer if it’s very very cold.

Top Bottom