Winter socks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
Maybe when damp - not when truly wet.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i use northwave winter boots, toasty warm and keep the feet dry too

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Loose fitting workmen's safety boots and two pairs of bog standard sports socks that you get in bundles of 5 for about £3-4. It's what I wear outside in cold weather and it's effective. The important thing if you don't want to get cold is the footwear must not be a tight fit so you have some air space around your feet. Cycling-specific shoes are the last thing you want because they are usually a tight fit which transfers heat more easily from you to the shoe.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Loose fitting workmen's safety boots and two pairs of bog standard sports socks that you get in bundles of 5 for about £3-4. It's what I wear outside in cold weather and it's effective. The important thing if you don't want to get cold is the footwear must not be a tight fit so you have some air space around your feet. Cycling-specific shoes are the last thing you want because they are usually a tight fit which transfers heat more easily from you to the shoe.
I find an upturned five gallon tin bucket I found in a hedge does fine for a helmet. I line it with moss and comb my beard round my ears for winter. Cost me nowt.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I use overshoes.

But they're more of a pita to get on/take off so in the past I've been using toe caps which are far easier to put on and keeps wind off the front of the foot which helps tremendously.

I've tried winter socks too and really like them and they're far less faff than over shoes but not as warm. Just my 2 cents.

GoldenLamprey

Overshoes for me too. They keep most of the wind and water out, so your socks have half a chance of doing the rest. The PlanetX/Carnac ones are easy to fit (as these things go, anyway). They open up fully at the back, so just a matter of getting over the cleat, then pull the velcro together at the back again.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Just to confirm the issue of tight fitting footwear. Personally I wouldn't write-off cycling specific footwear but I make sure whatever I wear allows space and movement of the foot.

In my experience keeping the toes moving around, wriggling them, helps keep the feet warm.

Although I don't use them anymore when I wore overshoes I always had my actual shoes fastened on the loosest possible setting

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I struggle to get overshoes to fit my ridiculous size 50 feet, and boots are a non-starter for the same reason. Was recommended waterproof socks by a friend last winter.

Got some sealskinz, very impressed, excellent in cold weather. Only need overshoes over them when it's below zero. Recommended.

Top Bottom