Winter socks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So we are heading into winter. :sad: Actually it's not that bad, it can be quite good fun!

However, I need the right clothes and last winter my socks just weren't up to the jib. I had Endura thermolite socks, and I have to admit they weren't as warm as I had hoped (yes it was -15C out there!). So I am looking for warmer this year.

Any suggestions, whilst not breaking the bank. Is Merino wool the way to go?

ChrisKH

Guru
When it's that cold I use dual lined hiking socks rather than something cycling specific.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
So we are heading into winter. :sad: Actually it's not that bad, it can be quite good fun!

However, I need the right clothes and last winter my socks just weren't up to the jib. I had Endura thermolite socks, and I have to admit they weren't as warm as I had hoped (yes it was -15C out there!). So I am looking for warmer this year.

Any suggestions, whilst not breaking the bank. Is Merino wool the way to go?

You bought your socks in a sail then?

:blush: Yes, I am getting my coat, it is the blue one!

Edit (and the sail was in a ship).

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I've got the thermal Endura's too and they're not warm enough on their own - overshoes are a good way to warm the toesies a bit more. I find the problem is the cycling shoes are too ventilated.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Aye, I use overshoes as well. During last winter (which was very cold!). I had overshoes, the Endura socks and some thin socks underneath. Even then my feet were still cold at the end of the ride.

My shoes have a reasonable amount of room in them, so I don't think it was a squashed feet issue. It'd just be nice to have one pair of socks that were actually warm enough for most occasions.

I'll have a look at dual lined hiking socks!

Speicher....:rolleyes::smile:

jimboalee

I have dual lined socks for the cold weather.

When it gets really cold.....

I bought a Thinsulate lined beenie hat. Cut the Thinsulate lining out and used it to make two little toe pouches which fit over my tootsies before the socks go on.

Haven't found anything better.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Possum/merino blend from chocolatefish are good

That looks interesting. handwashing would be a bit of pain (having three kids there is plenty of washing already!)

I wash my cycle stuff in the machine using a wool wash detergent at 30. Do you think these socks would cope with that?

Noodley

Only washed mine twice since I got them....by hand

jethro10

Über Member
I use Sealskinz.

The middle waterproof membrane is perfect for stopping wind.
And this is from a guy with circulation problems in his feet and had to buy normal day-wear socks with a TOG rating - really!

Jeff

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I use Sealskinz.

The middle waterproof membrane is perfect for stopping wind.
And this is from a guy with circulation problems in his feet and had to buy normal day-wear socks with a TOG rating - really!

Jeff

They do sound good, but they are a tad expensive! The cheapest I could find were £22 for one pair! :ohmy:

zacklaws

Guru
I was recommended "Woolie Boolie's" for winter use to keep your feet warm, but I have found nothing special about them. This year I've got a pair of "Sealskinz" to try as they seem well recommended.

potsy

Rambler
Nice thick woolly walking socks for me last winter,over-shoes if the weather is damp,there's no way Mags is spending £22 on a pair of socks-he is Scottish you know
tongue.gif

Top Bottom