Winter Strength training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But seriously though I don't follow why it is hard to understand that if a good proportion of my training is plowing up hard hills and my legs enter an anaerobic state

Because your legs do not enter an anaerobic state - simple. Just because your CV system goes anaerobic, does not mean your legs are. Short of doing a kilo sprint on the track from a standing start, your legs will probably never go anaerobic, and even then only for a split second, because - as I'm sure you learned in GCSE physics - it is impossible to exert a maximal force on a moving object (ie a pedal).

Last edited:

VamP

Banned
We are still doing this? Please no-one make me laugh, a bit sore from core training last night!

Ah, you're wasting your time! :laugh:

Venod

Eh up
What? That is not my view. My view is actually the exact opposite. However, perhaps you could define 'condition' for me in that context? There is also a difference between 'disregarding' the links and offering perfectly reasonable critique as to why the links do nothing to prove what others claim they do.

How is my 'understanding of basic science' flawed? Please explain. None of these studies can reliably and reasonably demonstrate causation between improving leg strength (or core strength) and cycle performance - and because that does not fit in with your own misunderstanding of the issue, you think my understanding is flawed. Bravo.

Try googling 'cognitive dissonance' when you have a minute. Seriously.

Very interesting the 'cognitive dissonance link' the majority of the references you have been referred to support some kind of strength training for cyclist and outweigh the evidence against, but you have dismissed them all, this thread has been very entertaining but to bring it to an amicable conclusion, how about following this advice.

How to Reduce Cognitive Dissonance
There are three key strategies to reduce or minimize cognitive dissonance:

• Focus on more supportive beliefs that outweigh the dissonant belief or behavior.
  • Reduce the importance of the conflicting belief.
  • Change the conflicting belief so that it is consistent with other beliefs or behaviors.

Last edited:

Doyleyburger

Veteran
2013-12-05 10.39.04.jpg

Just to mix things up.
-from this month's cycling plus magazine ha ha

400bhp

Guru
yeahhbut, what to the GB team know :whistle:

Great thread...

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I think the most interesting part of that is the bit about the track start... one for those that think going clipless will suddenly turn you into a monster on the bike!

michaelcycle

Just to mix things up.
-from this month's cycling plus magazine ha ha

What does it say after the "improving muscle" bit of the last sentence? Does it also clarify that the same improvements could not be obtained through on bike training - in other words is there something unique in weight training which cycle training cannot provide?

What does it say after the "improving muscle" bit of the last sentence? Does it also clarify that the same improvements could not be obtained through on bike training - in other words is there something unique in weight training which cycle training cannot provide?

The Paul Rogers PDF which Montage posted kind of answers that bit, in as much as it agrees that for endurance events, the best training is on the bike.

michaelcycle

The Paul Rogers PDF which Montage posted kind of answers that bit, in as much as it agrees that for endurance events, the best training is on the bike.

A little bit of gym regularly helps to maintain the structural integrity of the body, prevent imbalances and prepare you for crashes, but the real gains come on the road. Racing is the best training. All our best track enduros race on the road in Europe.They come together for camps to touch up their track skills, but all of that was learnt as juniors and in domestic track racing on the way up. For strength endurance on the bike, ride up hills in the saddle on bigger gears. That was the only strength work out team pursuit did for the last three years and they won everything there was to win with a bucket load of world records to boot. Incidentally, they are also the fastest starters."

Sounds about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom