Winter Strength training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can't believe this is still going^_^

Nice quote from that 'ok' cyclist mark cavendish. Looks like even he hits the gym..

"I don’t do a lot of cross-training as such. I do core work for the supportive strength I can’t get from pushing the pedals round, and just a bit of upper body training in the gym"

Did you get that from 'Mens Health' magazine..? It's the first result that comes up on google. Further down the results page, there's a link to another interview with him where he says he doesn't go to the gym at all and does all his training on the bike... :laugh:

Do you work on your calf muscles in the gym?
I don’t go to the gym. I get the workout I need on the bike. The only exercise I do away from my bike is stretching – I never used to stretch, but the older I get the more my body is torn into weird shapes. Other cyclists have their own workouts; the Scandinavian guys go cross-country skiing in the winter.

bianchi1

Guru
Did you get that from 'Mens Health' magazine..? It's the first result that comes up on google. Further down the results page, there's a link to another interview with him where he says he doesn't go to the gym at all and does all his training on the bike... :laugh:

Not highbrow enough for you ....... Try this one

http://www.rappstar.com/pdf/StrengthTrainingEnduranceAthletes.pdf

Experimental data demonstrate that strength training can lead to enhanced long-term (>30min) and short-term (<15min) endurance capacity both in well-trained individuals and highly trained top-level endurance athletes, especially (but not exclusively) when high-volume, heavy-resistance strength training protocols are applied. As summarized in Fig. 5, the enhancement in long-term endurance capacity appears to involve training-induced increases in the proportion of type IIA muscle fibers as well as gains in maximal muscle strength (MVC) and rapid force characteristics (RFD), while also likely involving enhanced neuromuscular function.

:laugh:

it's well known that Wiggins did some core/upper body work after his collarbone break though - which is not unreasonable.

Best i can tell most professional cyclists do some form of core work off the bike. It's quite easy to find this information on the web.
Your 'core' is a group of muscles which respond to aerobic input and stimulus in exactly the same way as any other muscle group.
Maybe if you are doing aerobic input with them. Would you consider sitting on a bike aerobic stimulus for your core?
Strength does indeed increase with resistance training - but cycling really isn't a resistance-based activity in the sense that you think it is. The forces involved are way too low.
So you wouldn't class gravity, wind, and body weight (when climbing) resistance? Interesting. I don't know why we bother with protein after a hard session on the bike as it seems there is nothing to repair.

Not highbrow enough for you ....... Try this one

http://www.rappstar.com/pdf/StrengthTrainingEnduranceAthletes.pdf

Experimental data demonstrate that strength training can lead to enhanced long-term (>30min) and short-term (<15min) endurance capacity both in well-trained individuals and highly trained top-level endurance athletes, especially (but not exclusively) when high-volume, heavy-resistance strength training protocols are applied. As summarized in Fig. 5, the enhancement in long-term endurance capacity appears to involve training-induced increases in the proportion of type IIA muscle fibers as well as gains in maximal muscle strength (MVC) and rapid force characteristics (RFD), while also likely involving enhanced neuromuscular function.

:laugh:

You've not read it then? That's just a review of other studies on the general topic of strength/endurance - a lot of those papers aren't even cycle-specific. The bits that do cover cycling are fairly equivocal, as previously mentioned and covered earlier. Sorry.

Best i can tell most professional cyclists do some form of core work off the bike. It's quite easy to find this information on the web.

Great - 'the pros do it' - if that's good enough for you, then great.

Maybe if you are doing aerobic input with them. Would you consider sitting on a bike aerobic stimulus for your core?

While cycling - yes. Wouldn't you?? What else would it be?

So you wouldn't class gravity, wind, and body weight (when climbing) resistance? Interesting. I don't know why we bother with protein after a hard session on the bike as it seems there is nothing to repair.

They are certainly forces which work against you while on the bike - but they're hardly what I would specifically refer to as 'resistance training' - any more than 'standing up' or 'walking down the street' can be classed as resistance training.

Lol, I feel like I have started world war 3!!! I simply wanted to know if doing weights twice a week would benefit my cycling in general. I am riding paris Roubaix in April. I know the pros complete miles and miles in the saddle, but I also know they do weight sessions from reading media, but to what level I have no idea. I don't want legs like Chris Hoy, but Cancellara's would suffice.
The OP is probably sitting back watching all this unfold and thinking wtf have I just started. This thread is compelling to say the least.
Brilliant !
I am thoroughly enjoying it - this is as you say - brilliant !!!!

Look - you're obviously desperate to prove something, but it's not going to work. That study, once again, simply proves that a group which did more overall training performed better than a group which did less. We went through all this on previous pages and I can't be arsed to repeat myself - just go back and have a read of all the relevant comments that myself and others made - it will save you wasting a lot of time trawling through PubMed.

bianchi1

Guru
Look - you're obviously desperate to prove something, but it's not going to work. That study, once again, simply proves that a group which did more overall training performed better than a group which did less. We went through all this on previous pages and I can't be arsed to repeat myself - just go back and have a read of all the relevant comments that myself and others made - it will save you wasting a lot of time trawling through Pubmed.

Annoying stuff all this peer reviewed, experiment driven evidence isn't it...all these folk could have saved their time and just asked you.

Actually I'm meant to be participating in a study investigating the effects of serial versus acute Sodium Bicarbonate (NAHCO3) loading upon a 10k cycle ergometer time trial performance....but if you could let me know the answer it will save a lot of bother:tongue:

Annoying stuff all this peer reviewed, experiment driven evidence isn't it...all these folk could have saved their time and just asked you.

Actually I'm meant to be participating in a study investigating the effects of serial versus acute Sodium Bicarbonate (NAHCO3) loading upon a 10k cycle ergometer time trial performance....but if you could let me know the answer it will save a lot of bother:tongue:
Brilliant !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom