Winter Strength training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

solidthegreat

So now the winter is closing in, I reckon its time to start planning for a few visits to the gym. Does anyone have any specific weight training exercises that could help improve my overall strength and power to weight ratio without gaining too much weight or muscle mass that it counteracts sportive riding.

And so beginneth another 16-page thread on strength training for endurance cyclists.... ;)

Seriously, I don't know if you have researched this at all - but there is very little evidence to equate improved leg strength to improve cycling performance. Go to the gym if you like, but don't go there on the expectation of improving your cycling fitness.

Albert

Über Member
I go to the gym (90 minute session once a week) and do some weights, rowing and running because I am told that cycling is not good for bone density.
In the gym you get to use of non-cycling muscles and gradually strengthen weaknesses - in my case the lower back and groin area.
As long as you do easy weights, you will not bulk up. I do the Full Monty of static weight machines alternating arms and legs and do 2 sets of 15 reps on each.
I don't do free weights, as good technique is needed to avoid the risk of injury.
Not very scientific, but this works for me.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Posture, Stability and flexibility are issues which often impact cyclists. Many cyclists have a weak core and lack flexibility in the hip flexors in particular.
These are area worth working on for all aspects of your well-being imho.

michaelcycle

If you want to improve cycle specific adaptations you have to do do cycle specific training ie on bike.

However, you can supplement this if you have time with certain weight training which targets specific areas like the quads, hamstrings, glutes, lower back and shoulders which can prove to be problem areas for cyclists for a variety of reasons.

So, stuff like squats, lunges, hamstring raises, lever raises / trunk extensions, shoulder presses or extensions would be good.

If you want to avoid adding mass then don't work within the hypertrophy range (around 8-12 reps per set) and high volume training (so multiple sets.)

You can either go really heavy to work neuromuscular adaptations (so 3-5 reps) or light to work endurance (15-20). I favour really heavy myself.

I also think weights are great for bony injury prevention as it improves bone mineral density.

If you want to improve cycle specific adaptations you have to do do cycle specific training ie on bike.

However, you can supplement this if you have time with certain weight training which targets specific areas like the quads, hamstrings, glutes, lower back and shoulders which can prove to be problem areas for cyclists for a variety of reasons.

So, stuff like squats, lunges, hamstring raises, lever raises / trunk extensions, shoulder presses or extensions would be good.

If you want to avoid adding mass then don't work within the hypertrophy range (around 8-12 reps per set) and high volume training (so multiple sets.)

You can either go really heavy to work neuromuscular adaptations (so 3-5 reps) or light to work endurance (15-20). I favour really heavy myself.

I also think weights are great for bony injury prevention as it improves bone mineral density.

This seems a bit confused. You start by saying (correctly) that cycle-related training is best done on a bike. But then you talk about gym work improving endurance. Can you clarify that?

michaelcycle

This seems a bit confused. You start by saying (correctly) that cycle-related training is best done on a bike. But then you talk about gym work improving endurance. Can you clarify that?

Eh? I didn't mean for the purpose of improving endurance. Apologies if it wasn't clear.

I meant weights for improving general muscular conditioning to prevent injury or niggles that are common to cyclists - like the rounding of the upper back, or weak structures around the knees, over tight hamstrings due to over use of the quads.

You can have all the conditioning in the world but if you are injured and off the bike it won't be much use.

ETA: just read my initial post again and I can see why it was confusing given that my comments about weights followed directly on from the cycle specific training bit!

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
For those of us getting a little older, some gym work is beneficial, especially for bone density - I've started early:tongue:

It can't do any harm, but don't expect to be faster on your bike. You need to ride it.

So now the winter is closing in, I reckon its time to start planning for a few visits to the gym. Does anyone have any specific weight training exercises that could help improve my overall strength and power to weight ratio without gaining too much weight or muscle mass that it counteracts sportive riding.

Why not ask a personal trainer at the gym what they recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom