Winter Strength training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No offence to any personal trainers out there, but I would be very suprised if a gym personal trainer did NOT recommend gym work. Any gym-based PT who said "stay out of the gym - ride your bike" would probably get fired ;)

You mentioned that you wanted to build up your overall strength and power ratio. Although they work in a Gym they could help with general advice.

You mentioned that you wanted to build up your overall strength and power ratio. Although they work in a Gym they could help with general advice.

I didn't mention anything of the sort. But the OP did. In any case, road cycling is not a 'strength' sport, so improving your strength is not going to improve your cycling.

ayceejay

Guru
The problem or at least one of the problems with a winter off the bike is motivation and a tendency to apathy when faced with a choice of going out and freezing or being bored to death on the turbo. If a regular trip to the gym gets you over this then you have achieved something valuable.
Michael's advice re general muscular conditioning to prevent injury or niggles that are common to cyclists is sound in my opinion.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

They probably couldn't offer much worthwhile advise and I certainly wouldn't be paying for some beefcake with a nice tan and big guns to tell me how to get better at cycling.

Also agree, in general, cycling is not a strength sport, if it is, then anyone who I beat really must be weak...

Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
They probably couldn't much worthwhile advise and I certainly wouldn't be paying for some beefcake with a nice tan and big guns to tell me how to get better at cycling.

Also agree, in general, cycling is not a strength sport, if it is, then anyone who I beat really m
:whistle:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Wow, wtf did I just write, edited to actually say something now, lol! That's what I get for texting someone at the same time as posting on here, lol
You were probably put off by the massive squat you were in the middle of...:whistle::laugh:

1384033_580107895360227_1788321400_n.jpg

montage

God Almighty
Weights are fine, and at lot of coaches and top athletes advocate them BUT it can never be a ride replacement, and a proper weights schedule would see you coming to the end of your cycle fairly soon, at least for the legs. A proper schedule will see you doing about 10-12+ weeks of Adaptation, hypertrophy, strength then power. Hitting the weights with not structure will do more harm than good, it is NOT about the most you can push.

We had a guy on the team hit the squat rack hard the day before a big training ride - the result? He flagged big time, and wasn't able to get the most out of the ride on the climbs etc. He then had to miss the next day as well to recover. He won't be touching the squat rack again.

I started off keen to do weights this year, but I am very time constrained, so weights have gone out the window and been replaced with on the bike stuff.

I have noted that some people are saying that cycling is not a strength sport .
All sports involve Speed ,Stamina and Strength - in varying degrees - the skill is knowing how to develop each of these for the particular sport
we are involved in. For example a 100 mile road race will involve a high degree of all the three. But someone who just wants an easy 100 mile
ride without a care for how long it takes and takes a break whenever a pub looms up - will only require a minimal amount of stamina end strength
compared with the road racer .
Cheers - Leigh

I have noted that some people are saying that cycling is not a strength sport .
All sports involve Speed ,Stamina and Strength - in varying degrees - the skill is knowing how to develop each of these for the particular sport
we are involved in. For example a 100 mile road race will involve a high degree of all the three. But someone who just wants an easy 100 mile
ride without a care for how long it takes and takes a break whenever a pub looms up - will only require a minimal amount of stamina end strength
compared with the road racer .
Cheers - Leigh

Pretty much every sport involves 'strength' to some degree or other. The question is, does it involve any more strength than we already have. How much strength would you say is required in, say, road racing?

Last edited:

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom