Winter Tour to Northern Norway (Alta)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
5. Camping:
I'm probably going with a TerraNova Laser. I've already got it, and reckon its a good tent. Although I'm not in the market for yet another tent, does anyone think this is an disasterous choice of tent? Or maybe I should bivvy rather than tent it? Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

The Terra Nova Laser is far from suitable for the conditions you want to use it in, it is in the main a temperate climate, 3 season tent (March to November), i.e., UK and Europe and similar worldwide. However I like a lot of other backpackers have used my TN laser Comp. In January and February both in the Cairngorms and the lake district, camping above the snowline, and whilst it ok for a few days in those conditions about minus 10 deg C night time temperatures , the condensation is bad, the zips freeze up which when you are trying to get out for a pee in the middle of the night which can be dammed inconvenient.

You will need a 5 season tent arctic tent, designed to withstand the cold, the wind and high levels of snowfall, and also providing low levels of condensation;

Here is a company which make some nice kit, which would be ok for what you want:

http://www.baffin.co...sp?idProduct=75

As to what boots to wear, maybe something like these

Brains

Legendary Member
I've only done winter training and survival courses for walking and climbing in these conditions, so I am unable to comment on the cycle/road conditions.

However winter camping at these temperatures is possible

The tent: As previous posters have said, the Laser is not suitable.
You will require a full geodesic tent, at least 4 poles, with snow valences.
Have tried quite a number over the years I find the best two for snow conditions are North Face and Terra Nova.
The North Face Mountain 25, a cozy 2 man tent would be my first choice with the Terra Nova Quasar (the full mountain model) 2nd.

You will need a fair bit of kit and whilst one night in a tent in these conditions can be a laugh with a bunch of mates, by night three, on your own, being in the tent for 16 hours at a time due to the darkness the novelty will have worn off.

The Terra Nova Laser is far from suitable for the conditions you want to use it in, it is in the main a temperate climate, 3 season tent (March to November), i.e., UK and Europe and similar worldwide. However I like a lot of other backpackers have used my TN laser Comp. In January and February both in the Cairngorms and the lake district, camping above the snowline, and whilst it ok for a few days in those conditions about minus 10 deg C night time temperatures , the condensation is bad, the zips freeze up which when you are trying to get out for a pee in the middle of the night which can be dammed inconvenient.

You will need a 5 season tent arctic tent, designed to withstand the cold, the wind and high levels of snowfall, and also providing low levels of condensation;

Here is a company which make some nice kit, which would be ok for what you want:

As to what boots to wear, maybe something like these

hee hee I am a silly old bugger meant to put this link for the tents
http://www.lightwave.uk.com/

Stephenite

Membå
I cycle regularly in Norway in winter. I don't know what all the fuss is about. :tongue:

Commuting though. For about an hour at a time, and stick mostly to cycle paths. I'm reluctant to use the road for, precisely, the same reasons Torudd has (vigorously!) explained. Ooops, back to work..

OP
OP
W

whodabear

Dear All, First - thanks for the many useful responses - lots of kit recommendations etc.

I think there has been useful information-share; surely the point of forums.

I will not be attempting this trip, but will be spending a decent amount of time in Northern Norway this winter, where I will learn about conditions for myself, I guess.

The summary seems to be:

1. The cold and dark are full-on, and dangerous enemies to the rider
Problems with solutions here, some useful suggestions in posts.

2. Effects on the bike:
Some parts will become brittle and prone to cracking.
Any parts with water in them will freeze (hence dry it first, don't bring it in from the cold, sealed cable lines etc.)
Some lubes will not be suitable for the cold (strip, degrease, re-grease with approved cold-temp lubes)
Rohloff hubs are likely ok down to -30deg. or so if prepared with thinner lube.
Problems with solutions here, and knowledge gained from Iditabike and others elsewhere

3. Winter camping: Use a geodesic design tent with snow-valance
Again, problems with solutions here. Other kit advice available in posts, though best forums for this likely elsewhere

4. Roads:
Those not graded-down to tarmac are likely bike-able due to deep ice ruts caused by heavy traffic.
Some are graded down to tarmac, and may bike-able (some responses claiming winter-biking experience in Norway)
No detailed information about where these different roads are in posts

Lastly, sadly, I will not be using this forum again.

Although there has been lots of useful information, it has not been a very nice experience for me. Posts have often been pretty unpleasant; more "you idiot" than "that won't work, here's why", with some notable exceptions.

If there are things I didn't know, about road conditions etc., then thats why I asked.

I have done a fair bit of cycling that others have considered foolhardy in the past (white-guy commuting through Soweto, South Africa en route to work at the Bara Trauma Unit springs to mind). This one is too "to out there" for me to consider, but it ought to be possible to ask these questions, no?

Anyway. Sadly, signing off - I'll not be reading any further posts here, and I would advise other adventurer / dreamer types to stick instead to asking questions that others find more acceptable (choice of lights / panniers etc.).

See you out on the roads / the off roads, but not on the forums I guess.

WhoDaBear

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i don't blame you for this post, or the disappointment you feel. if you read this post, good luck on future adventures. i too feel saddened by the tone of some replies.

i too am signing off.

to all those that know me or want to contact me for future rides, you have email address.

goodbye.

Lastly, sadly, I will not be using this forum again.

Although there has been lots of useful information, it has not been a very nice experience for me. Posts have often been pretty unpleasant; more "you idiot" than "that won't work, here's why", with some notable exceptions.

If there are things I didn't know, about road conditions etc., then thats why I asked.

I have done a fair bit of cycling that others have considered foolhardy in the past (white-guy commuting through Soweto, South Africa en route to work at the Bara Trauma Unit springs to mind). This one is too "to out there" for me to consider, but it ought to be possible to ask these questions, no?

Anyway. Sadly, signing off - I'll not be reading any further posts here, and I would advise other adventurer / dreamer types to stick instead to asking questions that others find more acceptable (choice of lights / panniers etc.).

See you out on the roads / the off roads, but not on the forums I guess.

WhoDaBear

Well, if you are like me you will look back in sometime to see what guys have said about your departure.

Very sad you have decided to leave the forum, however I can understand your reasons, I can only wish you luck with your course... You know we really are a well meaning bunch of guys on here, and a lot of knowledge to be had.
Some peeps can be a little prickly at times, as I have found out sometimes in my postings. But that life, make the forum more the merrier.

hee hee I once did the total immersion thingy as part of my training, many years ago when I was a hardy teen.
Not very pleasent, more so if things go wrong you know you will die..lol.. but that what make life enjoyable.

toroddf

I was maybe a bit harsh in my replies. But I am not an irresponsible liar who let people go onto adventures who is likely to end up in fatalities. Sorry, but your life is far too precious to be ended on a piece of icy road in Norway. 

It is better to hate me or any others than being dead. And feel free to brand me everything under this sun for crushing your dreams and saving your life. Go on. Go on.  

I wish you good luck in other forums where you are being told what you want to hear. Then you will need all the luck in the world........ and a lot more. 

Danny

Legendary Member
WhoDaBear, I would also be sorry to see you leave.

Your OP actually attracted some very thoughtful and well informed responses - I had no idea we had people who were so knowledgeable about winter cycling conditions in northern Norway.

I think most of the posts you felt were "unpleasant" were actually more akin to leg pulling - in part occasioned by your apparent unwillingness to take heed the warnings about the impracticalities of such a journey. I am genuinely sorry if you felt this was unpleasant, but I can only say that some CC regulars have had a much more severe leg pulling in the past over some of their planned tours.

I really don't think any of this was meant to be malicious, and I am sure we would all like to hear about your next planned adventure.

Top Bottom