Winter training... what are you doing this year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
What did you do last year? Did it work?
Banging out high mileage over Christmas or sticking to the turbo?
Summer bike been put in the loft and replaced by the steel steed yet?

VamP

Banned
race cross :biggrin:

What did you do last year? Did it work?

Last winter for me was lots of LSD stuff, with higher intensity coming in after xmas. It has always worked in the past, but for some reason it didn't work last winter and I've had crap form all year. Did a few early season crits and then stopped racing in the spring because it was so bad, plus my kids are now racing, which kind of distracted me a bit.

No more high mileage for me. Realistically, the longest races I do are 1-hour crits, so I can't see the sense in grinding out 5-hour rides over the winter. I am now riding shorter and harder (longest ride I'm doing currently is about 2hrs), which I started doing towards the end of this summer, and got some pretty good form on the back of it. I will probably do that all winter, and supplement it with turbo work as the season gets closer.

Winter bike now. It's a slow old bus...a bit like me at the moment...

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I did quite a lot of medium distance rides (50-80 miles) with plenty of hills thrown in, last Winter. In particular I had a pretty good January, in terms of mileage clocked. I think it helped a little, as this year I have been generally stronger and faster than last year (even though I am 5-10Kg heavier).

I took the steel hack with it creaky headset and full guards on one club run a few weeks back. Blowing out of my *rse to keep up with the fast group, so I have been on the alu bike and sticking with it for all but the wet commutes. The Supersix is clean and sparkly and staying put in my bedroom until Easter eggs become available at the shops!

There's a Winter series on a closed circuit, that I am considering. Hoping it might motivate me to drop some of those nasty extra Kg's...

Was thiking about CX too but they cancelled Muddy Hell and that was the one I had thought about trying.

Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
What did you do last year?
Spent winter off the bike injured

Did it work?
It successfully ruined my entire season :blush:

Slow and steady wins the race for me this time of year. Hope to not be near turbo this side of christmas.

Rode it last weekend and broke it, currently my winter bike is leaning against it awaiting tonights club ride :tongue:

I do have a MTB race coming up in December. Part of the Ulster CX series my club are hosting a round of.

Last edited:

VamP

Banned
I did quite a lot of medium distance rides (50-80 miles) with plenty of hills thrown in, last Winter. In particular I had a pretty good January, in terms of mileage clocked. I think it helped a little, as this year I have been generally stronger and faster than last year (even though I am 5-10Kg heavier).

I took the steel hack with it creaky headset and full guards on one club run a few weeks back. Blowing out of my *rse to keep up with the fast group, so I have been on the alu bike and sticking with it for all but the wet commutes. The Supersix is clean and sparkly and staying put in my bedroom until Easter eggs become available at the shops!

There's a Winter series on a closed circuit, that I am considering. Hoping it might motivate me to drop some of those nasty extra Kg's...

Was thiking about CX too but they cancelled Muddy Hell and that was the one I had thought about trying.

Probably did you a favour, Muddy Hell is a pretty intense intro to CX. Get yourself along to a local Sunday League race, choose from here.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Want a turbo but as swmbo stated i do not really have the space to set one up that the kids will not muck about with and my commute keeps some miles in along with the odd club run.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Lots of LSD rides (not that kind anymore) to get my left leg used to cycling again (5 months since femur was broken). Nothched over 300km last week, so think it's fine ^_^.

Will start introducing intervals end of the month when I'm sure the leg can handle it.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Less road rides this winter as my toes really can't take the cold anymore (tried loads of different methods of keeping them warm but nowt works.)
I'll still be out on the MTB though. Mud is great insulation when you're covered in it!
I'd like a turbo trainer but don't have the space to keep it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Commuting as usual. Last winter will be just the same as this, recovering from surgery. Hopefully this time will be less painful, so I can get some miles in with the club. Another two weeks before I attempt to sit on a bike.

Booyaa

Veteran
Hopefully my cycling will increase hugely over the winter, it was stopped last winter due to a seizure so with any luck I will be able to do a lot more and be in a fitter position for next summer.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I am already bored of no hard intervals or races and it's only been a week since my season ended.

I will be doing a combination of riding around at tempo for 2-3 hours at a time and going kaboom up any hills encountered on the way. Around December/January I will start with the sweet spot work on the turbo. Gradually adding in more and more threshold work then when the season arrives I will be ready for some VO2 max efforts.

Top Bottom