Winter training... what are you doing this year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
What did you do last year? Did it work?[/quotes]

Commuting, a few slow weekend rides and a bit of work on the turbo. I'm not sure if it worked because it was all a bit unscientific and haphazard.

Banging out high mileage over Christmas or sticking to the turbo?

Hopefully doing a reasonable amount of mileage with the club, but with 2/3 structured turbo sessions thrown in per week. I've spent most of this morning looking for ideas for sessions.

Summer bike been put in the loft and replaced by the steel steed yet?

Winter bikes has been out for a few weeks now, as I can't get mudguards on the good bike.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Well, last winter involved nothing until the middle of December due to falling off on the ice and having my arm in a sling! Then very slow and gentle turbo sessions (2x1hr a day) until mid Jan. Then I started hitting the sufferfest vids. My TT times were the best they've been (helped by a good bit of weight loss too).
So far I've had a couple of sessions on the turbo, but N+1 has stuck and I'm getting a mountain bike to play with over winter.....

"what's that dear?"
"falling off?"
"No don't worry I'll not be doing that"
:whistle:
:biggrin:

Keeping up the running, for the cardio-vascular system, & off-road when I can, as the effort is higher
Pretty much this. it's worked for the last two years for staying fit and I no longer enjoy the road bike in winter but then I don't race like many here which might colour my view otherwise.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Winter for me involves getting out on my CX bike as much as possible, regular roller sessions on my TT bike, turbo intervals work and the occasional run and gym weights session. Most of the really hard graft will be done on the rollers with simulated TT's at race pace using a powermeter. It's not hard to balance when going 53x11 at 320W, but it is difficult to stay cool and I have to use 3 fans as once on the ski's I can't wipe the sweat from my face without a serious wobble.

Need to keep the fitness tiptop in prep for Paris-Roubaix Challenge in April...I seriously can't wait for that one...:hyper:

Berties

Fast and careful!
Hit he turbo last week due to rain,though I don't mind sweating , I was ringing,I will keep that to a minimum,bought a cx bike and will change tyres to suit conditions and I have a monthly treat as I did on Sunday ,if it's dry creep my summer bike out,and runs from 4 to 12 miles

Albert

Über Member
I try to pretend that it is still Summer and keep going out, but have more café stops :smile:. This works above 5c when it is dry. If it gets colder, I get on the Turbo or go to the Gym.

Judderz

Kettlercise during the week (Kettle Bells) and cycling at the weekends.

Not really got time to do any cycling during the week, due to work, but did a taster session on kettle bells a couple of weeks ago, and it doesn't half get the heart rate pumping, and the muscle ache in my glutes/tops of hamstrings the next couple of days after didn't half hurt (this is normal if not used to it and you do it right).

Tried Insanity last year, lasted 5 weeks out of a ten week course, just couldn't do that and cycle aswell.

Still cycling, I'm leaving the rollers in the cupboard untill as late as possible.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Im out running one night, then the turbo the next, weekend I get the bike on the road, (If its not raining). See how I go.....

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Im on the trainer three times a week at the moment. Aim to increase that to five times a week. In between that doing fat burning exercises. And have given up all the rubbish foods. Hope to lose 1 stone by the end of the winter.

Top Bottom