Winter Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
This makes me sadL, after getting home from work I can just about fit an hour’s ride in before we start losing light.
So I’m looking at setting the Turbo up.
Can anyone recommend any really good DVDs or videos that will plan my training throughout the winter?
The aim is to come back in the spring/summer even stronger because last year it felt like I had to start all over again after the winter break.
Basically a video that will include long grinds, sprints, cadence training, etc and slowly increase the efforts and time etc so I come back stronger. I don’t want to think, I want someone to tell me, "Go Hard Now" "Recover now" "Go 80%, 90% etc with timers and all that.
Ideas or recommendations?

Sufferfest?

Just had a look at that sufferest, It doesnt look like what im after.
I would like a video from a cyclist point of view, a running timer, and progression in the training.
I think TMHNET and a few others use it with Trainer Road, there's a thread somewhere if you search.

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
What are your objectives for 2014?

Well I would like to compete next year, get in there early with some crits, and build on what I did this year. This year I got a few 50 mile sportive’s in and my 100 mile Manchester ride basically I just want to get faster and stronger.

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Lights or ride to work ? Turbos are the work of the devil.

I will still get out on the weekends and a few nights with lights when the weather is ok, but I carnt rely on the weather so I need a full blown plan B! I will not get fitter and stronger if I dont get a serious winter training plan in order.

michaelcycle

Trainer Road or Cyclo Core?

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
For road work, most winter turbo regimes are based around 2x20 intervals, tabata, or similar. Getting involved with a road club that offers good-paced weekend rides or a mid-week chaingang would also be useful.

Yeah, I do ride with a club at weekend but to be honest there are a few that are kind of slower and spoils it, so haven’t been out with them for a while, the chain gangs died of death, will be over soon as well when we hit winter.
I can gladly go out doing 2x20 intervals tabata etc but I need a structured, strict plan, that’s been put together well, includes recovery and effort, and will slowly increase duration and effort.

VamP

Banned
A diet of 2x20 and 5x5 intervals in a three weeks hard/one week easy pattern is the general way to go, but it can get a bit boring on the turbo. There are lots of other turbo workouts, that add some interest, have a google. Lots of threshold work, and some VO2max work is what you want, basically. Why not include some cross racing, or sign up for one of the winter road leagues to give your training some focus?

I don't really alter my training pattern between winter and summer, I just focus on managing my micro-cycles, with a view to the events I intend to enter.

VamP

Banned
Yeah, I do ride with a club at weekend but to be honest there are a few that are kind of slower and spoils it, so haven’t been out with them for a while, the chain gangs died of death, will be over soon as well when we hit winter.
I can gladly go out doing 2x20 intervals tabata etc but I need a structured, strict plan, that’s been put together well, includes recovery and effort, and will slowly increase duration and effort.

Either educate yourself and make your own, or hire a coach. Off the shelf solutions tend to be inappropriate to your needs, and inflexible when life gets in the way.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Personally, during the winter I would be backing off on the intensity and doing lots of tempo work whilst enjoying riding the bike, keeping only a few "hard" sessions in there. There are arguments for both approaches, but my personal experience is that smashing yourself to bits for 12 months is not good for mind nor performance. The bike racing season it pretty long and you will be training hard during it, so do you really want to be training hard during the off season too?

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Either educate yourself and make your own, or hire a coach. Off the shelf solutions tend to be inappropriate to your needs, and inflexible when life gets in the way.

Yes, May that is the key...........Educate and make my own. I have been googling for the past hour or so and struggling to find what i want

Top Bottom