Wire stretched across cycle path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

Mo1959

Legendary Member
https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/new...urgh-cyclist-seriously-injured-after-20208249

Dunno if this has been posted elsewhere but be careful if you're cycling around Edinburgh
Police called it careless! Bit more than careless in my books. Careless is doing something silly without much thought whereas deliberately tying wire across a path should surely be treated much more seriously. Chances of catching anyone is next to zero though. :sad:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Another one... if this carries on I will fabricate a uboat style net cutter on the front of my bike. I hope I don't crash mind...

main-qimg-6ba8f881ba7b648110f20f339ca6825f.jpg

One of the paths I often use goes under a road via a small semi circular bridge
under the bridge it is quite dark - and the local teenagers sometime hang around there - just chatting etc

but it is at the bottom of a hill so anyone on a bike will be going at speed - especially if there is no sign of anyone there at the time

it does worry me that some moron could stretch a wire/rope across it 'for a prank'
I hope no-one gets any ideas from this article

if they catch the person who did it - wonder what the charge would be??
also - wonder what the reason was
a) a 'prank/joke' by someone dumb
or
b) the action of a local do-gooder who thinks cycling on this path is 'wrong' and this action is justified

MntnMan62

Über Member
I live near a 2,000 acre park in densely populated northern New Jersey about a half hour outside of Manhattan. All of the parks in my county have banned bikes from the trails. That doesn't stop those who really want to ride though. And up until my son was born, I was one of them riding those trails. Sadly, they offer some of the best riding in the state. I have heard, anecdotally that people have strung wires across the trails at a height that would cause serious injury to someone riding a bike. I don't know anyone who has been hurt by them and certainly have not seen them myself. But sadly I don't doubt that some activist hiker decided to teach those bikers a lesson. It's the kind of thing that deserves some sort of eye for an eye type of punishment. I find it ironic that its those anonymous bikers who periodically get together and do repair work on those trails. I don't think the hikers do any of that in this park. Bottom line, anyone who would do such a thing as string wire across a trail in hopes of cutting the head off of a biker is deserving of the death penalty.

Dan77

There was another case of this near me in the last couple of weeks.
https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/new...ally-placed-malvern-hills-paths-cause-injury/
You'd likely be going at some speed approaching that too.

Brandane

Legendary Member
if they catch the person who did it - wonder what the charge would be??
"Reckless conduct" is a competent charge for such a thing under common law in Scotland.

Edit to add LINK. Maximum sentence of life imprisonment in the unlikely event of the case being dealt with in the High Court! Up to 1 year at the Sheriff court, or up to 5 years at a Sheriff and jury court.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Disgraceful. We should perhaps start a number 10 petition, requesting this is automatically treated as attempted murder, or that there be a specific indictable only VAP offence created to cover this criminal act.

While I as a sweaty myself lobby Parliament on behalf of the sassenachs, Brandane could do similar for those still in Scotland.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Man enough to do it, but only a child when caught “ I only did it for a laugh”...........
Trouble is, there is every chance that the offender will turn out to be a "child" by legal definition, i.e. under 18 years old. But let's not go there, and get this thread handed over to the wolves on NACA, it never ends well. In fact, it never ends! :rolleyes:

Probably some disgruntle home owner on the left of the picture who hates cyclist/public using the field.

Hopefully the police will take it seriously and find the D$$$head and charge him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom