Wireless computers - Is interference common?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeltz

Veteran
I bought a Bikehut (Halfords) wireless computers and it gets interference from my flashing LED lights.

Its going back but I wondered if its worth replacing it with another brand or whether it would be better to just go wired, in other words is it common for cheap wireless computers to suffer problems from interference?

Don't really want to spend more than £30.

Davidc

Guru
I tried one of theirs and a branded one. Trouble with both. Like you from a LED flasher with the Halfords one, same on the other one, plus complete failure of the branded one going past the Taunton and Washford Medium Wave (AM) transmitter sites.

The LED issue is I suspect an issue with the light, the other is an EMC issue with the computer.

I now have 2 wired VDO C series, one on each bike. No problems with them yet, and they were still obtainable 3 weeks ago when I got the second one.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
My heart rate monitor on my computer suffers interference issues but not from lights tends to be from my ipod. Speed trip distance are ok though. Most wireless devices can suffer from interference though. If you want certainty wired could be the way to go. More reliable only one battery :smile:

Bodhbh

Guru
I've not had a problem in the field (2 different Cateye wireless)

Funny enuff the only thign that causes it to reliably go berserk is the something at the till in Halfords when I take it off the bike to go inside, when it hits 70+mph.

Jim_Noir

The Tesco one I had was shocking dfor this, the Aldi one has not given any problems, it did refuse to work on a very wet day though. That said I know my speed was "not fast enough" that day anyway

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Bodhbh said:
Funny enuff the only thign that causes it to reliably go berserk is the something at the till in Halfords when I take it off the bike to go inside, when it hits 70+mph.

It is just trying to get you out of there.... ;)

Top Bottom