Wireless Hell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Wireless is shoot, I stuck with it for years before chucking the lot in the bin and going back to wired ethernet. Got gigabit up and running now for super, super fast file transfers between machines.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Wireless is crap. We kept having to reset it because it would just dissapear when you were on the internet. This new one we got isnt so bad. Desnt need resetting much, but its still slow overall.
We spoke to a guy from Virgin who said the best thing to do is to have internet ports in rooms and have a long cable to move it around the room. You should be able to get high connection speed and you dont have to spend the stupid amounts of time setting up a router and keeping on sorting it out.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not had any issues with the 4 netgear routers I've set up for my family over the last 18 months - and they are the cheap £50 ones that come with internet subscriptions - ours has been fine and easily configurable... quite happy to connect to AOL without their software and without using their DNS servers (used open DNS) as AOL's servers won't connect to Wiggle ! - PS I'm no expert - just sussed it out !

domtyler

Über Member
Just disable all the security settings to get it working and then re-enable them one at a time 'til you find the one that breaks it.

Carwash

Señor Member
How far do you get, Melvil? Can you see the SSID but not connect? Can you connect but not authenticate (i.e. it rejects the WEP key)?

Keith Oates

Janner
Melvil said:
...no, not an awful radio station but the whole nightmare that is setting up wireless broadband at home. I've tried reasoning with the router. I've tried set-up. I've tried our mac's airport. Nothing. I'm going to throw either the computer or the router out of the window any minute now!

Wait until I get under the window to catch it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom