Wireless speedo range.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You want distance and speed, right. My old wired Casio gives me this and also time and average speed. Alongside it is a Garmin which gives me the same data and more. The one I normally mount is a 500 (I bought a spare recently for £40). You can choose how many metrics it displays and which is the 'largest'. You will need other sensors if you want HR, cadence, power - which you don't. The difference (and solves your signal blocking problem from a sensor on one of your rear wheels) is that it derives these data from signals broadcast from satellites (GPS) rather than from the wheel. There is no 'tracking' involved unless you get a fancy one and again no mobile telephony ability unless you buy one with it. Some have touchscreen controls; some are buttons only and some hybrid.
A 200 has been suggested - go for it (second hand) - ignore the complicated cr@p people are bombarding you with. KISS.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Got rid of the smart phone and went back to my old Samsung push button phone.
It's waterproof and extremely tough.
I just don't like all this technology really

I've found the 'explore' really useful in navigating places I don't know - pre-planned rides, upload and off you go. And for 'logging' rides, it's handy being 'connected' as it uploads everything automatically to my 'accounts'.

Alex321

Veteran
Got rid of the smart phone and went back to my old Samsung push button phone.
It's waterproof and extremely tough.
I just don't like all this technology really

The Wahoo models won't really do for you then, as you need the phone app to set them up. Once set up, they will work without the phone.

Not sure whether Garmin ones need a phone connection at any point.

OP
OP
Roseland triker

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
The Wahoo models won't really do for you then, as you need the phone app to set them up. Once set up, they will work without the phone.

Not sure whether Garmin ones need a phone connection at any point.
I do have a capicity to set stuff up at home with my tablet thing. But think I'll justmake a bracket etc and stick with the cateye I have.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Or go for an Etrex type Garmin. These have AA batteries, rather than an internal battery. They tend to be a bit simpler in terms of fancy cycling technology (which you don't want), but display time, speed and distance (which you do) just fine. The advantage of AAs is that you can carry spares/buy spares on the road and you don't have the problem that the internal battery gets old and dwindles away and dies and is impossible/incredibly difficult to replace and the device becomes a very expensive and rather small paperweight.

Lots of second hand ones cheap on ebay

Last edited:
Top Bottom