Wise sayings from your old Dad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Chatting to Pater on the phone this lunchtime brought to mind some of the gems he's imparted to me over the years. Some of the good stuff from my Dad was...

"Never, ever get rid of your bike. You never know when it'll be useful". Sure enough one day clutch went on the car, motorbike wouldn't start, but the bike was there waiting faithfully

Another gem was " Get that mortgage paid off Son. Once you own the roof over your head you answer to no man ". I knew he was right, but the full depth of the wisdom of that one didn't sink in until recently.

Another crack, I think said in jest, was " If you're not in bed by midnight, then come home."

What sort of wisdom did your old Dad impart to you?

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
"Don't get caught"
"Never trust a fart"
"Get a job where they want you from the neck up, not the neck down"

MikeG

Guru
Wisdom? He was a fool and an anti-everything hang-'em-and flog-'em bigot. Wisdom wasn't his thing. One thing I do remember him saying, though, which bubbles up to the surface now and then, was "America is the most dangerous country on the planet".

Sixmile

Veteran
"Don't do as I do, do as I say" was his motto as I grew up.

"Don't ever overtake me" as he deliberately stood in the hall and wouldn't let me past and then went into a fit of rage.

"I know more than you about everything". He always had a way of encouraging us.

You just can't buy that kinda upbringing. If ya could, you'd ask for a refund! :tongue:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Dont let Drs near you. Always leave this world as you entered with nothing added and nothing taken away. And that's exactly what he did.

Ciar

Veteran
I can't honestly think of many things my Dad said, as we were not the best of mates up until the last years of his life, which is a regret i carry, but them's the breaks.

but one thing he passed on to me was the following, as a kid i would say i am Thirsty to which his reply every time would be i am Friday pleased to meet you!1!!!! drove me slightly mad, but i have now taken up the mantle and do this to my eldest daughter quite regularly :smile:

Top Bottom