Wish I wasn’t here.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Low Roller

This has only happened to me twice in all the years I’ve been touring.

First time I took the advice of a French cyclist (**** !!) who said that rather than go the flat way from St Etienne to Lyons I should go over the Col de la Republique. I pedalled 400 yards uphill then pushed the laden touring bike for 6 hours up around the hairpin bends to a campsite two thirds of the way up.

Second time I had meandered across France, Spain and Portugal and was stood on a hot July morning in Porto station wondering which was the quickest way to go home. Quite randomly I chose a train going east for 125 miles. It cost £5 and was the finest train journey of my life - a single track railway following a canyon along the river Douro. I just wheeled the bike onto the train and had the third class carriage to myself. The terminus was 60 miles from the Spanish border. It was like a one street cowboy town, but no people, dogs, horses and definitely no saloon. The next two days were purgatory because of the lack of water. Interestingly, part of the journey was on highly elevated brand-new dual carriageways paid for by the European Union and used by one car every 10 minutes.

( As an off-topic aside, this dual carriageway should have been built in England along the east coast. From where I live it takes 90 minutes driving along picturesque scenic roads to get to the motorway network, and these roads are cluttered with pesky cyclists in their little lycra shorts and bulging calves and the men are just as bad)

What’s your worst trip?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
We had spent a lovely week on Lake Como at a Moto Guzzi meeting in September. Mandello are were all Moto Guzzis have been born since 1921.

The morning we set off home in the morning and it started to rain. By the time we got to St. Moritz it was belting down and we were soaked. We decided to stop in a hotel for the night. During the night I got up and looked out the window and it was snowing. This is in September.

In the morning it was below zero and we had 2 ft of snow everywhere. All the fruit trees had been pulled over because of the weight of the fruit and snow.

We got free about lunchtime and the ride off the mountain was treacherous and freezing cold. We laugh about it now but I wouldnt want to repeat it.

P1010612.jpg

P1010613.jpg

jhawk

Veteran
My worst ride was probably my last one, actually. Not last one, ever, don't worry.

I had cycled out on a very hot, very sunny July afternoon - to a town 30KM away, to test out myself on a fully-loaded touring bike - packed with everything I thought I was going to take on my cross-country trip next year.

I didn't take enough water, and began to suffer from dehydration. Really, really bad dehydration. I rode the last ten kilometers totally dehydrated and suffering from heat stroke.

I got home, had food and water, threw up, went to bed at 7PM, and didn't wake up for about 14 hours. I spent the next day rehydrating and eating. That was the worst I've ever felt, ever.

OP
OP
Low Roller

Low Roller

My worst ride was probably my last one, actually. Not last one, ever, don't worry.

I had cycled out on a very hot, very sunny July afternoon - to a town 30KM away, to test out myself on a fully-loaded touring bike - packed with everything I thought I was going to take on my cross-country trip next year.

I didn't take enough water, and began to suffer from dehydration. Really, really bad dehydration. I rode the last ten kilometers totally dehydrated and suffering from heat stroke.

I got home, had food and water, threw up, went to bed at 7PM, and didn't wake up for about 14 hours. I spent the next day rehydrating and eating. That was the worst I've ever felt, ever.

Yes. That's exactly what happened to me in Portugal, and it is so scary. When I got off that train I had 25 miles to pedal to the campsite and about a half of a bottle of water to go across a semi desert landscape in extreme heat. Wherever I go touring now I always take one of those tiny little water pumps that convert streams, puddles etc into drinkable water. It cost £20 and since then, although I have never had to use it, after that bad experience I would always take it with me.

Hard to say which is my worst trip, as the challenges that present themselves as one progresses are part of the adventure. But I guess i would consider the ride across the Nubian Desert from Wadi Halfa to Khartom to have been one of the worse, as water supplies were at just the wrong distance apart, and it was HOT, Very HOT so water become a big worry.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
My first tour - France. Beautiful country and roads. I took a Brooks saddle with only 250 miles on it. I suffered from saddle sore for the whole 400+ miles tour.

Saddle is lovely now, but I should have done more miles beforehand to break it in.

An experience is exactly that... an experience

Whether you would do it again, it was silly, it was enjoyable, it was mind blowing is really rather irrelevant

You have had that experience, learnt something from it and become a better or wiser person.

THAT is what matters

Some useful cautions against lack of water and heat in this thread.

Years ago I got something akin to heat stroke in Sardinia in mid summer. Through just lying in the sun.

Years later on a flight there I met a couple about to do a fully loaded bike tour in July or August. I hope they knew what they were doing/were well prepared.

No native would contemplate that in July/August.

My usual Sardinia note: No, I'm not part of the international jet/yacht/villa set. Personal connections.

OP
OP
Low Roller

Low Roller

[QUOTE="Blue Hills, post: 3347815, member: 6217
Personal connections.[/QUOTE]

I was going to crack a joke about a puppet's personal connections. I don't think the moderators would approve.

Top Bottom