Wish me luck...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for your help :smile:

RedRider

Pulling through
It's a lot easier to show than tell isn't?
I was unsure about chain tension too so I asked a mechanic to show me and now I know. As others have said, half to three quarters of an inch slack at the tightest spot will be just right but I'm sure Pearsons will be happy to show.
After then it'll be easier each time you do it.
Far easier than faffing about with gears.

Did anyone mention that it is also useful to find the tightest point on the chain as you turn the pedals [easier with bike inverted] because the vast majority of chainrings are not round.
You then tighten the chain at this point. Just trying to be helpful. :ph34r:.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Chain tugs are a bit of a faff. You don't really need them. Just get the chain tight by pushing the wheel back on the drive side. Nip up the nut, then square the wheel in the frame between the two chainsaws. Then nip up the non drive side. If tension is out then undo drive side and adjust.

You 'walk' the wheel into place.Then tighten up tight.
This is what I would do/did do when my kids had their single speed 1st bikes and also when I was a lad starting out, back in the day, when we was too poor to have them fancy geared thingy-ma-jigs :okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS Most chain tugs don't fit the Pearson frame. I have a Wills Wheels Version, same frame, but in a FASTER red colour. The tugs I ordered wouldn't fit the dropouts.:tongue:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
PS Most chain tugs don't fit the Pearson frame. I have a Wills Wheels Version, same frame, but in a FASTER red colour. The tugs I ordered wouldn't fit the dropouts.:tongue:
It has them, I assume they fit. Not sure what time I'll be able to get there to get the chain checked. Hopefully I can ride the mile as I've got a sore foot which hurts walking :sad:

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Chain tension should be around 1/2" (12mm) of play in the longest section. If it is too slack it will fall off, too tight and you'll ruin the chainring and rear gear
In my experience this is about right ^^^^^

The only tricky bit is that most setups have a bit of eccentricity in them, and so the tension will vary slightly as the cranks and wheel rotate.

Top Bottom