Wish me luck...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
That's why I have ETA cover :whistle:

Yes, so you do indeed move the wheel back in the drop out...or do you mean a different wheel? What does your no refer to?!

Sleep time, I'll look at this again in the morning
Yes, you move the wheel back in the drop out. This is one of those things that's easier to demonstrate than describe. :smile:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. Previous posts didn't make that clear. I guess for most it might be immediately obvious!

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Any time I've used levers to fit a tyre I got pinch flats :dry:
Yes, you have to be very careful with normal levers not to pinch the tube, but the tyre mate is not a normal tyre lever, it has a totally different design and method of operation. I bought a tyre mate when I encountered my first tight rim-tyre combination, as I couldn't get the tyre on without a lever, and I didn't want to run the risk of pinching out on the road with a normal tyre lever.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Yes, you have to be very careful with normal levers not to pinch the tube, but the tyre mate is not a normal tyre lever, it has a totally different design and method of operation. I bought a tyre mate when I encountered my first tight rim-tyre combination, as I couldn't get the tyre on without a lever, and I didn't want to run the risk of pinching out on the road with a normal tyre lever.
I've learn to wrestle instead :laugh:
Lucky don't have to do tyre fitting very often, as Schwalbe in a variety of permutations are my choice :becool:

Sharky

Guru
I carry a very small adjustable spanner for the track nuts. On my earlier bikes, the front nuts and rear nuts were different sizes and needed a 14mm and a 15mm. All the open ended spanners I seemed to find in the shops went up in 2mm jumps, so you could get a 14/16 open ended spanner. Then when on holiday in a French supermarket, found the perfect 14/15mm open ended spanner.

On my current fixed bikes, both front and rear are the same size nuts, but I just carry the small adjustable in my tool bag to get me home.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I appear to have got the chain less slack, it fell off when I turned the bike upside down. However, I really struggled to not have brake rub! Riding the bike later will show me whether I succeeded! It doesn't sound like its rubbing now with the wheels spinning but time will tell!

potsy

Rambler
Sounds like you're getting closer to having it sorted, good luck with it.
Will probably be having similar troubles myself when I get mine in a couple of weeks, won't be going far on it until I've got the hang of this.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds like you're getting closer to having it sorted, good luck with it.
Will probably be having similar troubles myself when I get mine in a couple of weeks, won't be going far on it until I've got the hang of this.
Have you still not bought a SS?!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I do appear to have some brake rub on the back. I might have to pop by Pearsons at lunchtime

Sharky

Guru
I do appear to have some brake rub on the back. I might have to pop by Pearsons at lunchtime
If you've had the back wheel out and the brakes are normal caliper, you've probably just knocked them slightly. Just check that you have the same amount of clearance between brake blocks and rim, before and after applying the brakes. To re-centralise, just grab the whole of the brake caliper and rotate the whole unit in the direction you need.

Cheers Keith

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
If you've had the back wheel out and the brakes are normal caliper, you've probably just knocked them slightly. Just check that you have the same amount of clearance between brake blocks and rim, before and after applying the brakes. To re-centralise, just grab the whole of the brake caliper and rotate the whole unit in the direction you need.

Cheers Keith
I've tried that but it doesn't seem to make a difference!

Ok tried again, just needed to be more firm with it, thanks

ayceejay

Guru
I'll try again to be clearer.
If you have had the wheel out and put it back with your admitted lack of skill and knowledge I would suspect that the wheel is not central as a cause for the brake rub.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Half a mile up the road, the bloody chain came off. Luckily I had the spanner with me in anticipation, as I couldn't get the chain back over the cogs

I don't think it was down to the position of the wheel. I don't know how to assess the chain tension other than it not looking slack or falling off when turning the bike upside down!

Gah! SS is meant to be simple!

Top Bottom